CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Grant Potocnik

Profile:
Question online coaches?

thinking about hiring an online coaching service (i don't have the time to go to a box, but i have most of the equipment), but I'm not sure which one to go with... So far OPT (http://optexperience.com/) seems the best? I'm really just a beginner to crossfit. Any other opinions? thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
Grant Potocnik

Profile:
Re: online coaches?

also, found another one, MisFit. Can't really find much other online coaches. guess it is a toss up between those 2. any other opinions? thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I'd definitely be willing to pay OPT. I don't think you'd go wrong with that choice.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I've worked with an online/telephone communication mountain biking/cycling coach before and that worked well. However, I tend to think CrossFit would be a little more difficult--there is so much to learn in terms of technique and even experienced athletes benefit from the watchful eye of a coach. And learning good technique is so important for staying healthy as you progress in intensity.

For a beginner, if you don't have a good command of the movements yet, I think there are some real drawbacks. But online coaching with quality coaches is better than no coaching at all.

Would you be able to make some sacrifices and go to an actual box with live coaches for maybe 6 months, then transition to online? That might be an option to consider.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Grant Potocnik

Profile:

Thanks for replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I'd definitely be willing to pay OPT. I don't think you'd go wrong with that choice.
yep, i'm gonna go with opt, they seem very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
I've worked with an online/telephone communication mountain biking/cycling coach before and that worked well. However, I tend to think CrossFit would be a little more difficult--there is so much to learn in terms of technique and even experienced athletes benefit from the watchful eye of a coach. And learning good technique is so important for staying healthy as you progress in intensity.

For a beginner, if you don't have a good command of the movements yet, I think there are some real drawbacks. But online coaching with quality coaches is better than no coaching at all.

Would you be able to make some sacrifices and go to an actual box with live coaches for maybe 6 months, then transition to online? That might be an option to consider.
Nah, I can't really attend a box at all, but I am familiar with most of the movements, I mainly want to do the coaching for the individual program designs.

I'm gonna follow opt's blog for a while, then hire them for the personal plans once I'v got the funds.

thanks guys
Old 11-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Potocnik View Post
thinking about hiring an online coaching service (i don't have the time to go to a box, but i have most of the equipment), but I'm not sure which one to go with... So far OPT (http://optexperience.com/) seems the best? I'm really just a beginner to crossfit. Any other opinions? thanks
I haven't heard anything but I know that the guys from Barbell Shrugged have online coaching. Mike Beldsoe has filled his quota but Matt Baird has room (http://fitr.tv/collections/online-co...nth-commitment) WFS. Just a thought...
Old 11-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Matt Rigney

Profile:

I'd say you can't go wrong with opt. I've had some talks with them in the past about both individual programming and becoming certified through them. Really think they do good things. Cheapest individual program design will run with them is $150/month. Barbell Shrugged also knows what they're doing. Baird will run you $250/month, and Bledsoe, when available, runs $400/month. I believe you can also get coaching from The Outlaw Way for around $250/month if I'm not mistaken.

You might also investigate a local coach who is good at program design and would be willing to program for you. That would give you the ability to go in for a session to look at technique when needed. But yes, bottom line is coaching is almost always better than no coaching.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
Miles Roberts

Profile:

While you don't have time to regularly go to a box, could you make time to go to a lifting coach a couple times a week for a month or two?

I had been working out at home for a long time before I started CF, and while my form was fine for a lot of stuff, I got a TON of great instruction on the OLY stuff that really straightened me out - just in the first few weeks.

If not, there's also the online coaching forum here - you could post vids and get some pointers here. For free.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Grant Potocnik

Profile:

Thanks for the replies again! I will also check out barbell shrugged, they do seem pretty good too!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Grant, I too looked into OPT. I work with Mike Fitzgerald, James' younger brother. He provides my remote coaching. It is a supreme understatement to say they know what they are doing. I PR's one of my Open workouts yesterday (only by a couple reps) but at this point I really am not quite in game shape yet, so I will say that is a very good sign. And all my lifts continue to go up.....I am 37, have a job and two kids so do the math. Guy knows what he is doing.

Mike is at http://www.optimumperformancecalgary.com/(WFS)

Not sure he has room but there I believe DJ Wickham does similar work. I think starting on the blog is a great option.