CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Terry A Carey

Profile:
Dream of competing in the games at 60

Hi everyone,
I typically lurk around here with an odd post here and there. I find this a very supportive community so I am here for some advice.

After watching the 2013 Games I have the dream of getting there when I turn 60. I have been Crossfitting on and off for about 4 years. I say on and off a because in the winter I live in work in Vermont and until recently the nearest box was over and hour away. So every spring I start over! This year my plan is to get to the new box which is about 15 minutes away(yay),so there should be no pause in my training.

A little about me..57 year old female,successful competitive bodybuilder(those days are over) teach skiing to all levels and I am an avid runner. I have many weaknesses when it comes to CF but I know with the proper planning I can overcome them. Exactly the path I need to take is the issue. I need to get stronger,faster,improve technically,master du's,hspu's, butterfly kipping and the rope climb. At the box I am at now they do have a competition group but I would be a poor fit. They are all young and spry and I really don't think the coach is going to take me seriously. There are so many different variables here and I am not sure where to start. Any advice would be helpful. Below are some of my numbers...these are from the past 4 weeks after an 8 month layoff so they are not that impressive.

clean split jerk 98lb
squat 135 have not squatted in a year
deadlift 150
Not alot to go on...I will from now on record all my numbers

As far as my nutrition goes,well it could be better but I do pretty darn well when in competition mode. With my past bodybuiding experience I know what hard work and dedication is! Thanks everyone and sorry for my pathetic grammer!

Terry
Old 08-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: Dream of competing in the games at 60

Is your goal to train for 3 years and be ready or hope to be there by 60?

Few things I would do is research the current strength totals for women your age and shoot for those #s

Sound like you should have good endurance and I would say you may need to change your workouts to be shorter and heavier and maybe only once a week do something long. With strength being a goal you will need to recover and grow and at your age it will be harder. Toss I a lot of long runs and it will be very difficult.

Get to work on your mobility. kstars book can help you in this direction. I'd say 5 days a week do some work to help your body out. Also make sure your taking your fish oil.

Get your diet going right. The right amount of calories and protein will help grow that muscle you will need.

Be ready for a slow road sometimes. Being older means gains are slower. So technique and skills needs to be dead on. You don't want to risk injury at any age, but especially at an older age. Learn the
Movements at lighter weights and drill that form in. Progress slowly and safely. With youth comes recklessness but with age comes wisdom.

Be wise and do things right.

I wish you luck and fun
Old 08-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Elizabeth Brubaker

Profile:
Re: Dream of competing in the games at 60

Hello Terry,

I also dream of competing in the games as a masters athlete. I am 48 years old and have been crossfiting for about 3 years now. I also train with many amazing young athletes who I know I can't compete with but it is awesome because I strive to keep up with them and they push and motivate me everyday. I have competed a few times with them in some local competitions but was out all last year recovering from shoulder surgery. I am back to training 100% and plan to do the 2014 open. I know I can't make it to the games yet but my goal for the open is to see where I fit in and see what I need to do to make it one day. Don't worry if you can't keep up with the young ones because you don't have to! You don't have to compete with them! But they can push you and you will improve as you try to keep up with them. Talk to your coach and let him know what your goals are. I have a great coach who takes into consideration what my weaknesses are and my limits as far as my body is concerned - I used to be a competitive gymnast and my body is a little worn out from that.

My advice is to make sure you listen to your body, take lots of fish oil, eat clean and make sure you take lots of rest days. I just can't do it like to young ones but the beauty is - we don't have to!

Good luck!