CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Ken Jackson

Profile:
crossfit coaches

My question is, only if you are a coach, do you still pay for crossfit classes, discount? Is free crossfit a perk with your box? Do you coach X # of classes to compensate for what you would have paid had you not been a coach, then get paid on all of those classes once you pass the X. I really want to know what a majority of boxes do for their coaches. PLEASE LET IT FLY, I wanna know what you think.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:
Re: crossfit coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jackson View Post
My question is, only if you are a coach, do you still pay for crossfit classes, discount? Is free crossfit a perk with your box? Do you coach X # of classes to compensate for what you would have paid had you not been a coach, then get paid on all of those classes once you pass the X. I really want to know what a majority of boxes do for their coaches. PLEASE LET IT FLY, I wanna know what you think.
The 2 gyms I have worked at both let me train for free plus pay hourly per class. I've never heard of a gym making a coach pay to train at the facility. That would be counter productive because you want your coaches in the gym training hard showing off the benefits of CrossFit when performed properly.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

My guess is that Sean's answer (or something close to it) probably applies to most of the affiliates.

One caution though...you said that you really want to know what a majority of boxes do for their coaches. You're probably not going to be able to find that out by posting a message here.

- Mark
Old 07-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Ken Jackson

Profile:

forget the majority, if you are a coach, please tell me what your agreement is. I'm willing to bet that hardly any coaches pay or trade for crossfit dues. I coach 4-7 classes a week, 12 miles to the box, 12 back, and I have a full time job from 8-4.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I know at one of my friend's box it depends on how much/often you coach. I'm guessing it's a sliding scale so that a coach that coaches at least a few classes a week may only be paying partial if at all. FT coaches get free training (and I'm guessing FT is considering 30+ hrs).
Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I have one full time coach ands one half time coach who are paid hourly and train for free.

I have 4 members getting certified in a couple of weeks. My agreement with them is coaching in trade for membership then pay. I haven't finalized it but I think it will be 5 classes a month to cover membership anything extra after that they get paid.

I would like to give them full memberships and pay right now but it isn't in the budget yet. I explained this to them before they signed up for the L1 and all where fine with the arrangement. All 4 have full time jobs in other fields. My goal is they will recover their $1,000 to get certified in 6 months or so. Faster if we keep growing like we have been.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I have one full time coach ands one half time coach who are paid hourly and train for free.

I have 4 members getting certified in a couple of weeks. My agreement with them is coaching in trade for membership then pay. I haven't finalized it but I think it will be 5 classes a month to cover membership anything extra after that they get paid.

I would like to give them full memberships and pay right now but it isn't in the budget yet. I explained this to them before they signed up for the L1 and all where fine with the arrangement. All 4 have full time jobs in other fields. My goal is they will recover their $1,000 to get certified in 6 months or so. Faster if we keep growing like we have been.
How does it cost you anything to have you're coaches train at your facility?

edit nevermind i misread....
Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Nathan Holmes

Profile:

I'm a coach at one box and a client at another. Both boxes allow coaches to train for free. One has "interns" who train for free but are unpaid coaches (or assistant coaches) until the owner/manager decides to make them a full coach.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

When I was at CF Alexandria and, later, Outlaw, the rule was, you got free membership if you coached 2 WODs per week. After that, then you got paid.

At my gym, I found it easier to just pay my coaches for the WODs they cover.