CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #31
Luke Hitt

Profile:
Re: Rob Orlando

I didn't mean to criticize a competitor, all i'm saying is that from where i sit these games are not off to a great start between all the trouble with the online feed and a lot of people (myself included) questioning things like the softball throw.

after months of hype and reebok infused money i was hoping for more. still have 2.5 days left and I will be following all of it because I love crossfit.

Obviously all of the competitors are more deserving of this chance than any of us on the outside and I was not attempting to question that.

Anyone who trained all year and then ended up with a DNF for no fault of their own has my sympathy as I know that would be a tough dissapointment.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #32
Scarlett Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hitt View Post
I didn't mean to criticize a competitor, all i'm saying is that from where i sit these games are not off to a great start between all the trouble with the online feed and a lot of people (myself included) questioning things like the softball throw.

after months of hype and reebok infused money i was hoping for more. still have 2.5 days left and I will be following all of it because I love crossfit.

Obviously all of the competitors are more deserving of this chance than any of us on the outside and I was not attempting to question that.

Anyone who trained all year and then ended up with a DNF for no fault of their own has my sympathy as I know that would be a tough dissapointment.
I appreciate that response Luke. I'm glad to know that you weren't criticizing any of the athletes. In the past I've seen plenty of smack talked about competitors and it just makes me itchy to defend them, as I personally know many of them and see how hard they work (not to mention that they are VERY good people). Even Dave Castro and the powers that be at HQ know they can't please everyone with the programming. That said, it's nice to see that so many are passionate about the events and the games (and Reebok too for that matter).
Old 07-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #33
Zane Jones

Profile:

How does Rob get taken from the competition? Should he just score a zero like the people who DNF on the softball toss?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #34
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Jones View Post
How does Rob get taken from the competition? Should he just score a zero like the people who DNF on the softball toss?
He was allowed to continue to participate in the events, but his DNF on event 1 meant he would not have made it through the first cut, so he chose to bow out.

The people who DNF'd on the softball throw still have a score for the event, rather than a 0, from the other 2 parts of it.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #35
Zane Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
He was allowed to continue to participate in the events, but his DNF on event 1 meant he would not have made it through the first cut, so he chose to bow out.

The people who DNF'd on the softball throw still have a score for the event, rather than a 0, from the other 2 parts of it.
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #36
Mike Gray

Profile:

Hey -

He's back on! Heat 1, start! What's up?

Oh wait - I guess we haven't got the cut yet ... Cool that he's staying on, though. Great spirit ...
Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #37
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post

Rob's still in it as of this morning.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #38
Jeryd Leuck

Profile:

He will not make it passed the first cut though.

Good on him for still working hard!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #39
Mike Gray

Profile:

You know, that's just one of the little things that tell me the CF Games are still CF and haven't sold their souls out to become a "real" sports competition.

Like Spealer and Bridges slapping hands as they pass at the end of the beach run, or Froning hanging around after he's just killed the rope-clean WOD to chear like a maniac for his competitors. (I mean, OK, may there's a little bit of rubbing-it-in involved, but that's just the way you do it when your a real CFer ... )

Very cool. Definitely the kind of sports I want my kids invovled in ...
Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #40
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Rob Orlando is a hell of a guy and a hell of a CF'er. Him and a select few others bringing Strongman into the field have permanently changed and improved CF. He deserves all the recognition and respect he gets, probably more. Don't forget he isn't as young as he once was when he started competing - he's one of the older guys out there.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)