CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #11
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
go under the FAQ section and find the certificaion notes from the Feb 06 cert notes. Page 61+....great article from Louie Simmons on proper box squatting and why it works.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #12
Jan Szyndler

Profile:
Wow!!
Thank you very much Mike!!
Can you take a look at the above video link to see if that is indeed the proper form?
Thanks again.

(Message edited by worker on October 29, 2006)
Old 10-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #13
Kalen Meine

Profile:
When I've seen football players and such perform box squats, they always did the rock back- it's how I've started doing them (one of several ongoing experiments), and it's what makes it a different exercise, rather than a depth marker. And yes, that box is too high. I do them on the short side of a cinderblock. Good times.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #14
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
More from Westside on box squats:

"If your hips are weak, use a below parallel box with a wide stance. If you need low back power, use a close stance, below parallel. If your quads are weak, work on a parallel box. If you have a sticking point about 2 inches above parallel, as is common, then work on a box that is 2 inches above parallel. Our advanced squatters use all below parallel boxes. This builds so much power out of the hole that there will be no sticking points."
from http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls9.htm

as for the video above, he does an excessive rock back...it should be a controlled sit with the butt going out and down. There should be no momentum gain from a "rock". It's about working on sticking points and loading the hips, gluts and hamstrings. Rocking too forward may take the focus more to the quads which is not the purpose. The box high should be lowered below parallel...or work your way down if you can not control it that low, or go lighter...many modifications you can use.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:53 PM   #15
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
mike great information...and just to add some extra info. A box squat is also intended to eliminate all rocking motion. Your knees should be perpindicular to your shins so its bent at a 90 degrees, (dont have your knees over your shins) sit back as in your sitting on a chair. Once your butt hits the platform pause there for a second (or a deep breath) and then stand straight back up. It really helps explode your hamstrings and glutes. Really a great power exercise.. also make sure your knees dont dont come together (think of it as trying to seperate the floor together with your legs when coming up out of the squat)..
Old 10-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #16

Profile:
heres a great picture of the box squat...notice his knees to shins are bent at a 90 degree angle...

http://www.ironworkout.com/box.jpg
Old 10-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #17
Jan Szyndler

Profile:
Are they never to go past 90 degrees?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #18
Mary Wilcox

Profile:
I've been doing box squats with a broomstick for form, but I don't let my weight rest on the box. As soon as it brushes my butt, I go up again. On the second plus reps of the set, I "know" where it is and can go down with a smooth rhythm. I lower the box height by 2" each set, until my back starts to round.

Is there a better way for me to get depth with good form on my squats?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:52 PM   #19

Profile:
Jan
i think that if your working on depth with your box squats, and power, then when going below parrallel, it will be Inevitable to go past 90 degress..i think the thing to remember is just keep your knees even with your shins, and eliminate all momentum when getting ready to explode from the bottom.

Mary
One small bit of advice that i have, is to try doing oh lunges....and by lunges i mean really stretch out your step...You want to really feel a good stretch in your hamstrings up to your glute... It will also help with your flexiability in your hips (Which for some people is the "X" factor on depth of squats)...
just my two cents...
Old 10-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #20
John Seiler

Profile:
I'm with Mike as far as not rocking goes. Rocking back often results in the pelvis tucking under whilst directly bearing a lot of weight. This can result in something referred to in medical circles as "bad". You really have to stay focused because it's kind of natural to want to plop down on the box.

From the article:
"Now, how do you do a box squat? They are performed just like regular squats. Fill your abdomen with air, and push out against your belt. Push your knees out as far as possible to the sides and with a tightly arched back, squat back, not down, until you completely sit on the box. Every muscle is kept tight while on the box with the exception of the hip flexors. By releasing and then contracting the hip flexors and arching the upper back, you will jump off the box, building tremendous starting strength. Remember to sit back and down, not straight down. Your hamstrings will be strengthened to a high degree, which is essential. Many don't know this, but the hamstrings are hip extensors. Some great squatters have large quads and some do not, but they all have large hamstrings where they tie into the glutes. Remember to sit on the box completely and flex off."

No mention of rocking.