CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Shane Bradbury

Profile:
POSE method

I seem to have some problems when I run on the balls of my feet like the POSE method suggests. I remember reading a Men's Health article two summers ago about running on the balls of your feet so I tried it over the 2006 summer and developed plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I kept running like this after and found it just made my calves incredibly sore and I would develop a giant blister on my right toe. I also found I ran much slower then a heel first strike. I switched back to a heel strike a couple months ago and found no pain at all. My 5k time with heel strike is 21:30, with the POSE method last Friday it was 23:35. I don't claim to be an expert with POSE running and maybe my technique is missing something very important, but everytime I try POSE, I end up slow, injured and sore.

Any Advice?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: POSE method

Can you get a video? It's easier to analyze with a vid.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Marc McLellan

Profile:

I think if you have been running all of your life heel strike it may take more than one summer to get a handle on Pose.

When the weather in nice get some old socks and take them to a rubberized track. Run with just the socks. I am curious if you have the same problem. Barefoot (even with just socks) will not let you heel strike plus it will reduce most if not all of the up/down movement in running. People asked me in my 2nd LA Marathon how I could take the impact with bare feet. The reality is the impact is nearly eliminated using the feeling in your feet. BTW, this test will not work on grass or other soft surface. The sidewalk in front of your house would be even better as far as hard surface goes. Take it easy. Practice a few times at different paces (from slow to mildly fast).

Like Steven stated a vid or even getting in front of a Pose instructor may be a good thing if you want to Pose.

JMO,

Marc
Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

You're probably landing with your forefoot in front of you body, rather than with it underneath you. That could account for both the toe blisters (due to repeated stubbing) and the aggravation of the plantar fascia tendon. "Reaching" with your feet is a habit you develop with heel-toe running, and it becomes very hard to unlearn when you try to run properly.

These, and the links within, may help you correct some form issues.
http://patrickhdonnelly.blogspot.com...technique.html
http://patrickhdonnelly.blogspot.com...e-running.html
(Both Work/Family Safe.)
Old 01-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

I had an interesting question about this myself. Trying POSE, I found an increase in speed and turnover, but my calves were worked out incredibly. Although the program says that the calves shouldn't be worked, Any time you place your weight even slightly forward of the mean center of your foot, your calves come into play, and over 200 steps, say, even a small repeated contraction of the calves hurts- I know it hurts me. Does anyone do it regularly, or also have this problem?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I am a terrible runner, but I joined a run group and bought the book "chirunning." However, my calves also hurt the first real time I tried POSE. I think you are supposed to lift your feed behind you vs. pushing off with your calves. I think if you use traditional high heeled running shoes doing POSE it will also hurt your calves more b/c it is harder to land non-heel. Just my 2 cent.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
Haris Ceric

Profile:

Quote:
You're probably landing with your forefoot in front of you body, rather than with it underneath you.
++, probably.
I used to hate running. With passion. Had to run as part of my training (I'm a paddler), but it was always painful and hard. Read a bit about POSE and that part, that the foot never goes in front of the knee, is pretty much it. Stay upright and don't lead with your feet, lead with your chest.
Works for me, and I actually enjoy running now...
Old 01-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Shane Bradbury

Profile:

As always, thanks everyone. I'll try and read into POSE more and work on my technique. I was also wondering, I've read all elite runners DO NOT heel strike when they run, but do any of them? Whenever I watch a basketball game, it seems they strike heel first.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bradbury View Post
As always, thanks everyone. I'll try and read into POSE more and work on my technique. I was also wondering, I've read all elite runners DO NOT heel strike when they run, but do any of them? Whenever I watch a basketball game, it seems they strike heel first.
I didn't know there were elite runners playing basketball?

And there's a reason why basetball players have all sorts of joint problems when they're older. I bet that as well as a lot of cutting and jumping have to do with it.

I was recently watching the marathon record set in like 2 hrs 4 mins by some african guy specifically at his feet, and it looked like he was not heel striking at all even all sub 5 min miles.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:

Was going to say - basketball players aren't elite runners. They are very good jumpers, they sprint decently, they also cut back and forth a lot.