CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Opt

here (WFS)
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

nevermind
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
Damon Stewart

Profile:

To be honest I've wondered about OPT's programming in terms of what kinds of results it would produce. And by produce results I mean placing athletes high in the Games. Initially I felt like there was some selection bias going on - lots of firebreathers look for that competitive edge and many migrated to his programming. At Sectionals they did great, Regionals they did ok, the Games not so much.

He's definitely a squared away guy who's got a ton of knowledge and passion for training. He's one of the original firebreathers. I'm curious to see how his crew does this year at the Games versus people following individualized programming. At a certain level I think that people need custom programming to minimize their weaknesses and maximize strengths and no out of the box program does that. With his volume I'm not sure there's gas left in the tank for "goat work" for high level individuals. Time will tell.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I think the level of competition at the Games has gotten high enough that no one is going to win with generic programming. Several coaches -- including OPT -- offer programming that would serve as a good starting point, but that's not enough anymore.

Katherine
Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
Jesse Gray

Profile:

I tried the OPT stuff for a while and I think it would be really good for advanced crossfitters. My only complaints are that it gets kinda boring (to me at least) and I feel there isn't enough WOD style met-con. The workouts feel too much like the kind of stuff you'll see in a D-1 strength and conditioning program. Things may have changed, I haven't looked at his page in probably a year but for me, that's the kind of stuff I wanted to get away from which is why Crossfit is so appealing to me.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
I tried the OPT stuff for a while and I think it would be really good for advanced crossfitters. My only complaints are that it gets kinda boring (to me at least) and I feel there isn't enough WOD style met-con. The workouts feel too much like the kind of stuff you'll see in a D-1 strength and conditioning program. Things may have changed, I haven't looked at his page in probably a year but for me, that's the kind of stuff I wanted to get away from which is why Crossfit is so appealing to me.
Nah thats kind of what I got from it too. Its great training, and the man is a genius. But the bottom line was I just wasn't having as much fun with it.
Got back to mainpage + my own metcon programming and strength programming and it felt great.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #17
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

I'm checking this out and his programming looks intense.

I am going to see if I can implement some of this into my own training. Definitely not a beginner's program.