CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-28-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Joel Chapman

Profile:
As of right now, I am performing only dead hang pull-ups. I have noticed that the number of pull-ups in the WOD will usually be the sticking point of the whole workout.

In other words, I am cranking through the workout pretty well, but then the pull-ups cause me to slow down (by partitioning them) enough so that I think some of the metabolic conditioning is compromised.

I realize this is when most people will start to kip or use jumping pull-ups to keep the pace of the workout up. Let's assume I want to stay with only dead hang pull-ups. I have thought about taking the number of pull-ups prescribed in the WOD and multiplying by a factor (.67 or .50 or ?) that would then allow me a reasonable number of dead hang pull-ups to perform.

Has anyone thought about this, and if so what would be a good rule of thumb? 2/3 or 3/4 or 1/2 the number of prescribed pull-ups?

I can do about 18 dead hang pull-ups if I am fresh. I can do three quick sets of 10 in under three minutes, but then I am fried and have to start doing sets of five.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Joel,
Learn to kip. here is a vid of Eva teaching people how. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/eva-on-kipping.wmv

That having been said, Yesterday my son Connor and I did a workout where we set up a clock. On the first minute we did one deadhang pull up (Started at full ext. and finished by touching our chest to the bar), on the second minute we did 2 DH pull ups etc. Connor got through 11 rounds I got through 13. We have done this workout with kipping pull ups, I was able to finish 22 rounds and Connor 27. So I'm not sure if there is a corrolation that can be used.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
Jeff,

Thanks for posting that video! I had somehow missed it. I have tried on and off to learn to kip, but I usually just end up spasming wildly. That video teaches it perfectly though. I just went to the gym to give it a try, and my improvement was dramatic! Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Martin Schap

Profile:
Yeah. Thanks for posting that. I had seen it referenced elsewhere, but was just too lazy to try and find it. COmes on a good day, since I'm hoping to take a good swing at Fran in about an hour.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I finally learned to kip and really like it, but still would be interested to know if there is a official ratio of dh to kipping?

(Message edited by kmckay on March 09, 2006)
Old 03-09-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Kevin, the posted reps for pull-ups are for pull-ups. How you do 'em is up to you. Fast, slow, pretty, ugly - just go from arms straight to head over bar and you've done one. Rinse lather and repeat until you have completed the rep count specified.

I wish there was some reduced number for dead hangers, squirmers or grunters but that would take away the incentive to learn kipping.

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Exercises.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #8

Profile:

deadhangs are righteous. in terms of absolute strength, they're superior to kipping pull-ups. kipping pull-ups are righteous for other reasons. the most important in this case is their far greater metabolic demand than deadhangs when performing a given volume for time; more speed + greater range of motion = more power. that said, i'd generally recommend kipping in WODs and deadhangs from time to time as a strength element.

PS - watch out for high volume jumping pull-ups/negatives. holy rhabdo invitation, batman.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
joel,
I like to save the hang for weighted pull-ups and otherwise use the kipping for speed.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
Brian Omohundro

Profile:  
I just got my kipping form down and I can't believe how sore I am still from Thursday's kipping session. I was able to do 17 as opposed to my max set of dead hangs at 12. It definitely works muscles that dead hangs don't, and everyone at the gym looks at you like you're crazy.