CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
Andy Levitt

Profile:
sub. for kettlebell swings?

Can someone point me to a good substitution for kettlebell or dumbbell swings for today's WOD? (Forgive me if this has been covered many time before, but I couldn't find it on the main site and every search I did here came up with too many posts to wade though.) I've never done them before, and I'm not too comfortable with my ability to execute the movement correctly.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: sub. for kettlebell swings?

I'm not sure that there is a good sub for swings.

If you are not comfortable then you should 'scale' the weight instead of 'sub' the exercise. Instead of a 90 lb DB (or whatever the conversion is) try a 35 lb DB or whatever you're comfortable with.

I don't think there is very much risk for injury in a swing as long as the weight of what you're swinging is low enough. Just remember - keep your weight on your heels, back in extension, pop the weight up w/ your hips and keep your arms relaxed.

I think it's funny that you're looking at a WOD w/ muscle ups, HSPUs, and KB swings and you're worried about the swings!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
Andy Levitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
I think it's funny that you're looking at a WOD w/ muscle ups, HSPUs, and KB swings and you're worried about the swings!
I'm actually well below Big Dawg status, so I'm subbing pull-ups and dips for muscle ups and the BrandX scaled workout has pushups instead of HSPUs.

I guess I'll just try the swing with a lower weight, and try to watch the instructional videos before my workout.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Ben Sparks

Profile:

If you're worried about the swing, you can do a Kettlebell Sumo Deadlift High Pull. Focus on snapping open your hips on either one, leg drive being 2nd focus, and arms (and bell) more along for the ride than actually doing the work...
Old 07-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Andy Levitt

Profile:

FYI, it turns out that my gym has the free weight plates with the big handle holes cut into them, and using one of those seemed to work pretty well. (The swing movement also felt a lot more natural when I actually had the weight in my hands.)
Old 07-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Levitt View Post
Can someone point me to a good substitution for kettlebell or dumbbell swings for today's WOD? (Forgive me if this has been covered many time before, but I couldn't find it on the main site and every search I did here came up with too many posts to wade though.) I've never done them before, and I'm not too comfortable with my ability to execute the movement correctly.

Thanks.
taken from a pervious request for sub.
David Wood

Profile:

I'll take a chance on answering this, and hope that someone who knows better will correct me if blow it . . .

Grab an appropriate-sized dumbbell . . . somewhere between 20 and 60 lbs (probably), if you've never done them before.

Hold both hands in the center (hope there's room for both hands). You may have to overlap fingers a bit.

Take a stance with feet a good foot or two wider than shoulder width. Good squat position . . . feet flat and slightly turned out, head up, back with natural arch. Bend your knees a bit and let the DB hang down in front of you, between your legs, holding it with both hands.

Do a small dip with your legs, and on the rise, swing the DB up about 45 degrees.

As the DB swings down, dip with your legs again (bend your knees) and let the DB swing between your legs. Fold slightly at the hips (try not to bend very much in the waist) and let the DB swing back between your legs a bit.

As it swings back up, straighten your legs to give it some momentum and swing it up to horizontal.

Repeat the swings, gradually adding amplitude in front, but not too much behind. Most people end up swinging it to about 45 degrees up, but you can go all the way to vertical if you're so "inclined". Don't swing it so hard that you lose your grip, or it swings over your head and pulls you out of position.

Try to keep a good squat "attitude" in your torso through all the swings. The power for the swing comes from hip extension, not shoulder rising.

Quit before you drop it.

If you get to 20 or 30, use a heavier weight next time.

Sub for kb swings is the DB swing. No conversion on weight is really necessary. its up to your ability to swing the weight correctly. If your not familiar with the movement the best judgement to execute is....USE A LIGHTER WEIGHT.

honestly andy.. this is basic stuff that is covered in the faq.. try to get find the answer there, you will find that you will be burning up lest time looking through a mountain of posts that will ultimately lead you to the faq.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 07-08-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: removed snotty remarque
Old 07-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
I'm not sure that there is a good sub for swings.
mr gann... perhaps you could visit the faq and benefit from coach's wisdom.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Sparks View Post
If you're worried about the swing, you can do a Kettlebell Sumo Deadlift High Pull. Focus on snapping open your hips on either one, leg drive being 2nd focus, and arms (and bell) more along for the ride than actually doing the work...
dumo deadlift high pull doesnt work the same muscle pattern as swings entirely.
This is a sub for rowing if one doesnt have concept 2 .

Pavel used the concept of sitting up and down on a chair or a box to have people understand that the movement of the swing is generated from the hips.. the hips are what activates the swings and propels the weight in motion. stop the hip rocking.. the weight will stop . The arms really dont play muscle in the movement ... in fact he proves this by using a towel and kb .. the towel is passed thru the handle and becomes an extension of the bell.. then begins the hip snap and the bell moves.. if the towel and bell are in a straight line and the towel doesnt sag... the power and hip action is correct.. anything else... its incorrect.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Chris Robinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
mr gann... perhaps you could visit the faq and benefit from coach's wisdom.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a sub for KB/DB swings listed in the FAQ.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
Andy Levitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Robinson View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a sub for KB/DB swings listed in the FAQ.
There is not one, as far as I can see. I did actually look there before starting this thread.

Last edited by Andy Levitt : 07-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.