CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #11
Beth Moscov

Profile:
These look like a lot of fun! I did some pull overs and back hip circles at the gym the other day. Would love to try more of this stuff. I wonder if I can still do a shoot through?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #12
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
I know what you mean, Lynne, when you say that it would be cool if women "got to" learn the rings and p-bars--as women's events. On the other hand, we "get to" if we make it happen. It reminds me of Fran's thread about +40 women. If you want rings and p-bars, well then, have at 'em!

It may be a long long time before I can do a cross on the rings (maybe even an eternity :crazy:) but I can gain a lot and have a heck of a good time working on the basics in the meantime. Had lots of fun practicing big ol swinging straight-arm kips on the rings last night!
Old 01-18-2005, 06:58 PM   #13
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I have a couple questions about kips after watching some of those videos (and others):

Can you kip up to support on rings, or do you need something that won't move front-to-back, like a pull-up bar? I tried them on my rings today because I don't have a good pull-up bar, but all I ended up doing was a really easy pull-up. Maybe I just need to pull harder; I tried it on a tree and I didn't get any farther.

Are there different kinds of kipping? The "Beautiful Kip" photo sequence seems to feature a swing on the bar with a slight hip extension. The video here -

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000531.html

- has Annie Sakamoto not only through her hips forward but also doing a really explosive squat-like hip extension (raising the knees and driving through the heels), sometimes more than one as she tires, to get over the bar.

Finally, the woman's (actually, girl's) kip video that I posted to link to has the gymnast raising her legs as if she was doing a hanging leg raise and then pulling driving her heels behind her as she pulls up.

I'm not... overanalyzing this. Am I? :blush:
Old 01-18-2005, 07:32 PM   #14
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Ross,
The kip on bars is different from a kipping pullup, because the goal is to end up on top of the bar. In the kip, you actually don't ever bend your arms.
On rings, a kip also means ending up on top of the rings. There is no pre-swing, though. You start in a flexed hang (as you would on a floor) and then you drive your legs up and forward, again just like floor. Simultaneously, you press down forcefully with your arms. At first, you should expect to land at the bottom of a dip position, but with more experience and power, it is possible to maintain straight arms throughout the skill. If you watch some routines from the Olympics or world championships, you will see a few gymnasts do straight arm kips. I think Blaine Wilson does one. He also does a kip to maltese and some people do a kip to cross.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:09 PM   #15
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Ross - the move that the girl is doing in the link is what we used to call a "glide kip" when I was a kid competing in gymnastics. It was a mount to the bar. The kip in a pull up is a different thing like Tyler explains.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:34 AM   #16
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Tyler, Beth,

Thank you for the info; that clears it up. I'm working on the ring and floor kips on my off days.