CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-30-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
Looking for any recommendations for progressing to holding an L-sit for longer periods of time. I can hold one, for about 30 seconds. I thought that maybe having both legs tucked, followed by one leg at a time. Thank you much.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I'm about in the same situation. I started off being able to hold one off the ground maybe 3 seconds.

What I do is I just try to get 1 minute total, however long it takes. Soon I'll up that to 2 minutes then three minutes.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:07 AM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Greg

The way I approach them is to work on my support strength in my arms and to work on my ab/hipflexor strength and to add a bit of variety.

I start out doing a few tuck planches (lolasana in yoga terms). Then I bring my knees in front and do a few lifts with my knees bent into my chest (tolasana in yoga terms). Then I do a few L-sits. Then I practice swinging my legs back through my arms to land in the bottom of a pushup. Then I straighten my arms, stick my butt in the air and bend my knees and jump my feet back through my arms and try to hover in an L-sit again. This is a pretty fun progression. I don't hold L-sits for time usually but I do notice that the more frequently I do it, the longer and easier my L-sits get. I think 30 seconds is a fair guess at my time (approx. 5 long deep breathes), but if I were to focus on the minute goal, I don't think I would change anything except to keep my eyes on the clock.

Anyway back to the problem, increase your support strength by doing various holds like L-sits, tuck planches, L-sits with bent knees, etc. Try just supporting yourself at a dip station with the legs straight down for as long as possible. The try to hold your support position while moving your legs into as many different positions as possible.

For the abs, try doing various leg raises, v-situps, knee to elbows and the like to increase your strength. Also pracice other static holds with the abs.

Finally, I suggest doing a lot of forward bends and hamstring stretches to keep them loose. I think many people strong people can't hold L-sits due to the tension in the hamstrings more than from a deficiency in ab & arm strength.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I was trying to show my mom L sits the other day and ran into a slight problem - she doesn't have the arm strength.

I had to have her sit on the very edge of a chair and use her arms for balance. This still gave her a good ab workout, but not much for the shoulders or arms.

What would be a good progression to give her the arm strength for L sits?

(I hope I don't hijack the thread, sorry).
Old 12-30-2004, 11:56 AM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Jeremy, what about tuck sits?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Any type of arm exercises that we do on crossfit would help. Partularly dips. She could just sit on the floor in L sit position and push her self up with her arms not worrying about her legs. Push up, hold as long as possible, come down. Do two or three a few times a day for a week and it will help a lot. When I first started L sits my arm strength was my limiting factor too. I just kept trying. I also did them on the floor only. It helps with wrist strength as well. I think she will notice a difference from doing these in many aspects of her life from opening jars to getting in and out of things like cars, bathtubs, etc. Very functional ability.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:51 PM   #7
Jeremy Kam

Profile:
For those of you who work on the L-Sit, how often do you work on it? Everyday? Every other day? Have you seen any improvements with your other ab work because of the L-Sit?
Old 01-01-2005, 04:38 AM   #8
Graham Tidey

Profile:
I'm working on tuck planches and L-sits at the mo and I do each of them whenever I remember. I just hop onto the floor and do them. It's kind of like greasing the groove. I end up doing them maybe 10 times a day. It's not a lot, I just do it untill I fall down and go back to whatever I was doing!

As for L-Sits I've found lovely carpeted stairs to work wonders. Sit on the top step, push up with your hands with your fingers curling over the edge of the step. This lets you have your legs at less than a right angle or you could even rest one against the other steps. Then all you do is push your hips forward to try to get your legs higher. I think it's very important not to lift with your legs but to use your hips and abs.

The method of "just doing" the tucks and L-sits is working well. It could be that my balance is improving, but the first one of the day is getting longer and longer.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
Rick Burgess

Profile:
Jeremy (Jones),
You could also have her do Beth's L sit exercise in a chair -- feet on floor, legs straight, hands on chair arms. Press up until arms are straight.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Thanks for the tips.

And if anyone gets confused, just call me 'Jones' or 'Jonsey' - actually, my girlfriend calls me 'Jones' more than my first name.

I will talk to her and see how she is progressing.