CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #21
Julie Cleghorn

Profile:
Re: July: 'thruster' challenge

I will start this 6th July as well.....my thrusters need all the help they can get!

great idea.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #22
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Moore View Post
Day 1 - 9 reps @ 65lbs

Started with a lighter weight to focus on the explosion. Plus I did heavy squats.
nice scott. it is a great idea that you start with light weight and have perfect form. i recommend this to everyone. in the first week the weight should be light enough to do 21 unbroken. this way you can nail down the form which is key when it starts getting heavy.

an interesting note from the last 'thruster' challenge was that after i completed 6 weeks of thrusters my 'fran' time actually went down. i thought my time would improve, but what improved was my form which actually made 'fran' harder once i was getting deep enough on my thrusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichole Eick View Post
hey sorry didn't mean to give the wrong impression... i'm starting at 45 but definitely increasing the weight. i just thought the max reps challenge was cool, but as i'm not up to that weight yet i thought it would be more beneficial to do the original plan starting at 45#

cool nichole! i figured you understood, but over the internet its hard to tell so i just wanted to make sure you were clear.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #23
Robbie Cooper

Profile:

OK, I started today as part of my warm up.

The problem I'm going to have is that I still don't have the flexibility in my shoulders and wrists to get the bar in the front rack position. Lighter weights won't be too much of a problem (though it would be nice to be able to momentarily take the weight off my wrists/arms), but I'll struggle once the weight gets heavier.

I videoed my lift here (WFS)
Old 06-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #24
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

I'm in Ted. I need to work on being more explosive from the bottom so this is perfect.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #25
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Cooper View Post
The problem I'm going to have is that I still don't have the flexibility in my shoulders and wrists to get the bar in the front rack position. Lighter weights won't be too much of a problem (though it would be nice to be able to momentarily take the weight off my wrists/arms), but I'll struggle once the weight gets heavier.
nice robbie! i like the vid. maybe you can do it from the side next time to get a better view of the form?

the last 'thruster' challenge we got into a big debate about using the rack position for thrusters. after trying both i decided i was way better off not going to the rack position and just hold the weight instead of trying to regrip the bar as you come up from the squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeLuca View Post
I'm in Ted. I need to work on being more explosive from the bottom so this is perfect.
cool michael. i am glad your in. hopefully this won't be too hard on your back. how are you feeling? 100%? 90%? %?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #26
James R. Climer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Cooper View Post
OK, I started today as part of my warm up.

I videoed my lift here (WFS)
Nice video Robbie, nice looking gym too! Your form looks with the exception of the bar not reaching your shoulders.

Taping the wrists with adhesive tape gives good support if you can't get the heavier bar to the rack position. You're just warming up in this vid? You break quite a sweat just warming up! (Or did you borrow someone's shirt that just finished the WOD?)

Something you could try after the workout when you're at max flexibility is to do timed holds of heavier weights in the rack. I started CF 5 years ago next month and couldn't get my fingertips on the racked bar, and the wrist pain
during thrusters was my limiting factor in Fran. With time and practice, I can now wrap even my thumb around the bar in the rack, and I don't even think about wrist pain anymore. Patience and persistance, and stay away from injury.

Ted-
I'm in on this one, I had to drop out of the last one.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #27
Carter Nyman

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: July: 'thruster' challenge

I'm in too. Just did my first set on monday. This is going to be great for developing my thrusters.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #28
Carter Nyman

Profile:

Quick question. How do we subscribe to a thread?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #29
Beth Leonard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Nyman View Post
Quick question. How do we subscribe to a thread?
thread tools in the blue part on the top of the page. click it and you'll get a drop down box
Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #30
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

9 @ 95#