CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-14-2003, 10:47 PM   #1
Ari Vuorte

Profile:

Is anyone doing 5 on 2 off schedule for CrossFit workouts? Since the CF web page where the all the WOD's are is 3 On 1 off schedule so my question is how do I follow the WOD's on 5 on 2 off schedule?

-Ari
Old 05-15-2003, 01:42 PM   #2
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
Purchase CROSSFIT Journal 2/2003. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/journal.html
There is an excellent template for CrossFit design included. Enjoy!
Old 05-15-2003, 02:11 PM   #3
Jeff Arms

Profile:  
I use the 5 on 2 off. I just start a week behind then do the daily workouts. I like leaving the weekends for me.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:44 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

I do a "2 on - 1 off - maybe 3 on - 2 off - 1 on - 1 off" sort of ugliness.

(Yes, I know I'm missing out on maximum benefit . . . but the above is the best I can manage with my work and family, and aging body).

Some of the "off" days will still have a workout, and it will still have elements that I never did before I learned about CrossFit (e.g., overhead squats), but I can't push myself to that "Pukie" intensity as often as the WOD calls for.

So shoot me.

Like Jeff, I stay several days behind. I do aim to get a true "WOD" (as hard as I can go) at least 2 times, preferrably 3 times, per week. Even this reduced level of intensity has had a HUGE change on my physical condition, and overall well-being.

Dave
Old 05-16-2003, 11:25 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
David- I only go "all out" maybe once/week for a metabolic conditioning and once if there is a slower paced strength based work out. The other days I set a decent pace but do not kill myself. I have noticed being able to stay on schedule better, recovering faster and making better progress with this highly varried intensity. Perhaps this approach could be of benefit to you. If you do tinker with this please do let me know how it affects things.
Robb
Old 05-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #6
Parth Shah

Profile:
I used to workout everyday, but I found that I kind of went in a pattern, where I would workout out intense for a few days, than had to take of 2 or 3 days. I decided to expriment and see how many days in a row I could handle intense exercise, and than take a day off. I found that sometimes it 5 days, 3 days, 2 days an entire week, etc. So I just decided to do 4 days on, 1 day off. 2 of these workouts are WOD. and the other two are longer sessions of martial art drills. Of course, my TUESDAY AND THURSDAY classes are standard, but I don't include that in my cycle.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:10 PM   #7
Nick Martinez

Profile:
I find that certain workouts demand me to go all out eg.((push press X 15 + 24' box jump X 25) X 5
while others give you more opportunity to chill out and try to simply finish eg. 5K run
Old 06-02-2003, 02:56 PM   #8
John King

Profile:

Great, my gym just went to their "summer Hours" which means they will only be open until 1600 hours on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe I will switch to a 5 on 2 off scheduele and leave the weekends open. Because of my job sometimes I dont get out of work until after 1600. Oh well Ill make it work somehow. CrossFit is the best!
John King