CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #71
Jennifer Woods

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gayton View Post
My dry cleaner keeps a small basket of chocolates on his counter. Whenever I pick up or drop off, I usually pop a couple without even thinking about it. Today I had my hand in the basket when I remembered the burpee rule. Dropped the chocolate.. HATE burpees.
That happened to me on Sunday when we visited our favorite little irish pub for lunch. They always have a big basket at the door full of my favoirte little treats (Hershey kisses, varitey of delicious hard candy and some chocolate coated minty things). I took a handful, put them in my pocket and thought "oh no, put thoes back". I did. It felt good to take control.

Today was my first day back at work. There is temptation all around. I did very well and kept strong. I must have eaten a whole bag of radishes during lunch. They were delicious!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #72
Lisa Gallagher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gayton View Post
I'm on day 3 and it's going good. No intentional slip-ups. I instituted a "50 burpee rule" for the 30 days.

Any time I slip (no excuse) I have to do 50 burpees by the end of that day. It seems to be working thus far...

My dry cleaner keeps a small basket of chocolates on his counter. Whenever I pick up or drop off, I usually pop a couple without even thinking about it. Today I had my hand in the basket when I remembered the burpee rule. Dropped the chocolate.. HATE burpees.

Unfortunately, I also forgot that the "healthy" stir fry I ordered today had a sugary sauce. So, tonight I'll be cranking out 50... Damn you stir fry sauce!!
Thats a great rule. I think I am going to do that too! I think I am also going to read this thread before I eat everyday to stay motivated enough to skip the grains and sugar. If you guys can do it, so can I. Ah, I am motivated again!

I will try almond butter... and maybe stock up on some celery instead of bread!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #73
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

Today: 0 grains. 0 sugar.
Yay
Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #74
Luke Hitt

Profile:

Ok, I will admit it. I am weak. I know what a good nutrition plan would consist of (that's why I'm posting in this forum), but my diet sucks right now. I have tried going Paleo before, and only lasted like 4 or 5 days before I cave and go out to dinner or eat sugar.

I am Just looking for some advice on the first few weeks. Right now I am totally stuck in bad habits, such as going out to lunch during the workday and eating a few cookies after dinner. Everybody says that the first few weeks are the hardest and once you make the change it becomes easier, but I can't seem to get to that point.

I will also admit that I am definitely a person who takes pleasure in food, and sees a meal as an 'event,' two traits which I know I have to change if I want to succeed at this...

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #75
Terry Bruce

Profile:

well...after just starting today....i feel like eating a huge bar of dark chocolate on some wheat bread!.

Last edited by Terry Bruce : 01-05-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 AM   #76
John Penner

Profile:

Luke, you can do it.
If you can, post EVERY DAY, mabe twice @ first.
Your "body" will quit the cravings faster if you you quit all sugar, grains & artificiall sweeteners cold turkey. But if you go back & read a few posts from others, you will see most people doing some sort of moderation.
Remember there is a difference between body cravings & mental habbits.
I am going w/ 0 sugar 100% for Jan, but maybe longer. Grains will be only w/ family meals & 0 grains otherwise(I did screw up tonight w/ some sugarfree cookies{splenda}) I forgot my rule of only some grains w/ family meals
art. sweeteners are next on my list, followed by 100% Paleo (except those family meals 2-4x a week)
Long story short, I'm going hard core w/ 1 thing, SUGAR. moving closer to Paleo as time goes on.
List your goals/rules & check in EVERY day to take full advantage of us.
My score=0 sugar & only grains all day would be those Splenda cookies
Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #77
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I think it is hard to nearly impossible to just go "cold turkey" Luke, and don't fret, this whole thread exists because we ALL have the same problem as you!

You may choose to keep some of your old 'bad' habits, we need to enjoy life too. I am not giving up my coffee with vanilla sweetener nor beer one nite per week.

Cut things out slowly if you have to, but things will def get much easier after a week and you will feel MUCH better. One example, I have found that I don't need my afternoon coffee anymore b/c I'm not tired in the afternoon anymore. That was actually quite unexpected.

THink of all the positives that are coming your way, not of the immediate gratification of that sugar! And remember to eat! Sometimes when we cut all the grains and sugars out, we forget to replace those calories, or blocks, with actual food and then we are starving ourselves, or at least not eating as much as we are used to.

good luck, keep up the fight. Don't eat those grains and sugars, that's just "the man" trying to make you fat and sick!! lol (one way to look at it at least!)
Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #78
Christine Parry

Profile:

My days have been going pretty well so far. Usually I've allowed myself one small cheat per day, each less than 50 calories. Hopefully I'll pare that down, but for right now it's been helping me not want to kill myself after throwing out all my bread and crackers. I usually save it for a dark piece of chocolate. Besides that, I've been eating a lot of vegetables, a few pieces of fruit, and eggs, meat, and nuts (and some cottage cheese/yogurt, which I might cut back on later depending on my progress).

However, my weight hasn't gone down at all in the last few days -- it's been fluctuating wildly. It's so frusturating -- I have about 7 pounds I'd like to drop, and I just want to be at my goal weight, which is where I was in October. I don't really understand how I keep gaining (albiet very slowly). I've leaned out, but I still want to be back where I was. I was hoping that ditching the grains and sugar would be a good kick start in that direction.

Sorry for the vent. It's just really, really frusturating. I don't really feel like I can eat any less.... I've been logging my food on Daily plate and it looks pretty good (to me at least).

Argh.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #79
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hitt View Post
I will also admit that I am definitely a person who takes pleasure in food, and sees a meal as an 'event,' two traits which I know I have to change if I want to succeed at this...

Thanks for the help!
Continue to take pleasure in food! Or you will never stick to paleo. There are so many awesome combinations of food and seasonings, paleo is never boring.

Although I am still reeling from the Christmas indulgences (and care packages), I woke up today looking forward to the leftovers in my fridge - BBQ ribs (small amount of sauce) and the bacon roll (like italian food, the longer it sits, the better it gets). My co-worker had put some apples in the fruit basket, and I had a can of cashews in my drawer. What a great way to start the day.

I did have a small amount of cookies n cream ice cream (yum) and 2 oreos (yuck, don't want those anymore). Just finished a big plate of broccoli and chicken wings (lemon and herb, no sauce). Not sure how the rest of today is going to go yet. Here's hoping!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #80
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Parry View Post
However, my weight hasn't gone down at all in the last few days -- it's been fluctuating wildly. It's so frusturating -- I have about 7 pounds I'd like to drop, and I just want to be at my goal weight, which is where I was in October. I don't really understand how I keep gaining (albiet very slowly). I've leaned out, but I still want to be back where I was. I was hoping that ditching the grains and sugar would be a good kick start in that direction.
This soapbox has my name all over it.

For the love of Oprah, while you're doing this challenge, throw away the scale. In fact, don't worry about your "weight" at all. If there is one message I wish I could get across, it's this... improve your measurable fitness, and your body WILL fall into line. It has to.

Focus on your performance. Focus on your energy levels. Focus on how well you're sleeping. But don't pay any attention to what your body is whispering to your brain in the coming month. Easier said than done, I know, but physical appearance is an ineffective and totally subjective measure of success. I "weigh" plus or minus 8 pounds throughout any given day. Plus, the mirror LIES. You know it, and I know it. You can feel fit and trim one second, and then eat a Hershey's Kiss and immediately the mirror tells you that you're a fat slob. TELL THE MIRROR (and the scale) TO SUCK IT.

In my humble opinion, you'll set yourself up for greater success if you track your progress during this challenge by things that are measurable, and dependable, and meaningful. Like your Filthy Fifty time, or your max pull-ups, or your back squat. Improve all of those things and stick to your no sugar, no grains plan and I guarantee that your physical appearance will respond in kind.