CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #41
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

3 days in and i am starting to feel like my old self. last night i went out and got my own dinner before i ordered pizza for the rest of the family & guest. the temptation is nearly gone. the holidays are over and i am back in my routine.

bob- i think hard cider or wine is considered to be more kosher then beer.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #42
Alyson Terranova

Profile:

So far so good...I didn't realize how easy it would be to go back to eating paleo (not that I was far from it before, just with some holiday treats added in). It's been so nice not counting/measuring anything for the past few days...that will change when I start cooking for the week...oh well, I know what works for me, so I should stick to it!

Hope everyone else is staying strong!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #43
Keith Wilkey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Woods View Post
Hi all!
I am so addicted to sugar. I am ready to clean up my diet and keep on track through this awesome support thread. My diet is pretty clean except on the weekends. Then I loose all control which just cancels out all the hard work I did during the week.
Hi! My name is Keith and I am an addict. I have to give a big to Jennifer W. I feel like the college student who studys hard and goes to class all week and then gets totally wasted on the weekends. The only difference is I substitute alcoholic beverages for KFC, Whoppers (that are now angry), the discount bakery rack at Wal-Mart (a big hunk 'o chocolate cake for 60 cents )Chinese Buffetts, and a "sweet treat" on the side. The weird thing is i quit drinking sodas and sugary beverages...so I order water with everything as if that will make some sort of "cosmic dietary balance".

I have been drinking the CF kool-aid since October. I'm doing good with everything with the exception of "falling off the wagon" nutritionally speaking.

Count me in...I am going to hang around this thread to see how other folks are beating the "weekend bender"!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #44
Jennifer Woods

Profile:

Welcome Keith! I totally know where you are coming from with the water thing. I try to drink 3 liters a day and if I eat anything sugary, I'll down another 1.5 liters, as if that cancels out the box of Hot Tamales. Yeah. Right.

New year with a clean start. Day 2 has been going okay. This afternoon my energy and mood was low, but had some veggies with Sunbutter and I feel much better now.

Good luck to all!
Old 01-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #45
Tate Rivera

Profile:

I have been eating paleo-ish since last fall. But I aim to keep it cleaner this year especially in regard to sugar. I am committed to not eat any sugar this month. I figured that I would start here and then work on cutting out grains. I do not eat grains very regularly, especially not bread. I do eat some rice and tortillas.

I have seen this thread and thought I would join in. It is pretty difficult trying to do this while living at home, but my mom is great and she caters to me somewhat, so that helps.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #46
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
3 days in and i am starting to feel like my old self. last night i went out and got my own dinner before i ordered pizza for the rest of the family & guest. the temptation is nearly gone. the holidays are over and i am back in my routine.

bob- i think hard cider or wine is considered to be more kosher then beer.
Hmmm...interesting. I've read a bit about "GI" on alcohol, and the amount of carbs vs. calories/alcohol, etc. It seems to me that "no grain" would not include beer, but giving up beer because of the alcohol would be warranted. Same goes for wine, not a grain, sugar is the same as grapes, but contains alcohol so we should be avoiding it as a practice anyway if we're trying to improve our performance and get leaner.

What's the real story behind "your body burns alcohol cals before protein, fat and carbs" that I read everywhere. Is that the truth? And is it really that simple?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #47
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post

Anybody on here NOT kicking beer? I think I remember that on the "OK" list on the other challenges and I can't figure out why.
No beer? That's crazy talk.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #48
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gayton View Post
No beer? That's crazy talk.
You know what Jack, my wife agrees with you! I thought that was the consensus though. But if it's not, heck, I can easily just cut back to one night a week or something...

Hmmm.... I feel like I'm seeking an excuse to have a drink now.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #49
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Beer is lovely. Make lifestyle changes you can live with. Those are the ones you are going to stick with.

What I am trying to change about myself right now is thinking, "I am never going to have ice cream again because it throws off my nutrition." Feelings of deprivation get high when I do this.

Now it's, "I want ice cream, I'm going to have ice cream." I usually think afterwards that I didn't need as much as I ate, get a smaller scoop next time or I really didn't want it as much as I thought I did - or even the possibility of I didn't like it at all (at this point, throw the food away!)

Still balancing out my meats and veggies with some sweets. It's working though, every day I want sweets less and less. The more I eat them, the less I want them and realize they will likely always be available for me in the future.

Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #50
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
You know what Jack, my wife agrees with you! I thought that was the consensus though. But if it's not, heck, I can easily just cut back to one night a week or something...

Hmmm.... I feel like I'm seeking an excuse to have a drink now.
I drink a couple times a week, but generally set a limit at 2 beers or glasses of wine. Anything beyond that and I get a diminishing return on investment. I used to drink more often but a couple rounds of "Murph" w/ a hangover will learn you pretty quick!

In the past I've tried to go to extremes w/ this 30 day challenge. I make grand statements

"No coffee"
"No dairy"
"No beer"

It just become too much. Coffee is a simple pleasure I'm not ready to give up. Dairy has never bothered me and it's a relatively cheap source of fuel (especially when you are following a mostly paleo diet). And frankly, a Friday night wouldn't be quite the same w/o a ice cold beer.

I figure I'll start w/ the sugar and grains, then re-evaluate.