CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Rich Jakes

Profile:
Dialing in Macros for Significant Weight Loss

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I'm just over 6 feet tall weigh 310 lbs and am focusing on aggressive weight loss. A few stats for context and then the question...based on my bmi (via calipers) my lean body mass is about 200 lbs. My workouts consist of a "crossfit-esqe" workout three days/week , some cardio specific training twice a week and some sort of weekend physical activit (trying to rebuild my base strength and cardio capacity...before I start hitting the WODs)

I'm trying to focus in on my diet and have started eating paleo. Now I'm trying to dial in my calories and macros. Here are the assumptions I'm using:

>>Net Calorie intake (food in minus exercise out) for maintenance at my goal weight of 225 appears to be around 2400-2500 calories
>>Since I'm trying to lose weight I'm keeping it under 100 g carbs
>>Since I'm upping my strength training and trying to maintain muscle mass, I'm shooting for about 240 grams protein (1.2 * lean body mass)

Given these calculations, I would need to consume about 118 grams of fat (or 40-45% of my daily calories) to hit my calorie target.

QUESTIONS: Are these assumptions above correct? Is there any issue with having fat that big a percent of your total daily intake? Will this maximize weight loss? Is there a better approach I'm not understanding?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Dialing in Macros for Significant Weight Loss

Honestly starting at 310lbs macros are the last thing you should trouble yourself with. Just focus on improving food quality, not eating sugar or grains, no liquid calories, lots of good meats/eggs/fruits/vegetables, and you'll be fine. Do not try to starve yourself or you'll get real miserable real fast. If you cut out crap foods the caloric deficit you need should really take care of itself.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

+1 to Eric's comments. Don't overthink this. You can worry about macros later.

- Mark
Old 09-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Rich Jakes

Profile:

Thanks all...one addition. I'm in a weight loss competition and will win $1000 if I have the largest decrease in body fat over 10 weeks. So, I'm trying to really dial it in for the next two months.

I will likely tone it down afterward (but still stay focused on clean eating, etc.)

I see this as a kick start to a longer term solution to overall health and good nutrition...and the $1000 will mostly into building out my garage gym.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

My answer is the same, whether or not you're in a competition. Knowing Eric, the same is true for him too.

- Mark
Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jakes View Post
Thanks all...one addition. I'm in a weight loss competition and will win $1000 if I have the largest decrease in body fat over 10 weeks. So, I'm trying to really dial it in for the next two months.

I will likely tone it down afterward (but still stay focused on clean eating, etc.)

I see this as a kick start to a longer term solution to overall health and good nutrition...and the $1000 will mostly into building out my garage gym.
Is it total weight loss or are they actually measuring body fat for the comp?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
Is it total weight loss or are they actually measuring body fat for the comp?
This was my question too. At my workplace they are having a "Get Fit" competition. One contest is for largest weight loss. No mention of body fat. Just total weight.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i think counting your macro's is wise decision. you didn't get to be your current weight by having trouble packing away calories or by having good judgement or control with protion sizes. not knocking you, i am in the same boat, but some people fail to realize how easy it is for some of us to put away food. even if you ate nothing but perfectly clean food, if you eat way more calories than you need you aren't going to lose weight, whether those calories come from fruit, meat, or processed pop tarts. from the info you provided, i think your current plan should work fine.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
Rich Jakes

Profile:

Hey all, it is body fat percentage. We're tracking weight weekly, but doing caliper body fat analysis at the beginning and end.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

$1000 would be nice, but adapting to a new way of eating that's sustainable and healthy for the rest of your life would be nicer.

Losing a reasonable amount of weight over the next 10 weeks will help you sustain things. Would you rather lose 50lbs in 10 weeks then put 30lbs of it back on over the next six months, or lose 30lbs over 10 weeks and keep up that trend over the next 5 years? I don't know what the exact stats are about people losing large amounts of weight then putting most of it back on, but they're pretty ridiculous.