CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
diet help. omega 3:6

i know that i should consume omega 3s and no as much 6s but heres the problem. i recently found out I'm allergic to olive oil/ canola(been eating it for awhile and getting weird reactions but didn't think that was the cause) and cannot tolerate coconut of any kind. i eat an unmeasured paleo but i know i need more calories which come from fat. however, the only fat sources i can eat are nuts and from meat (due to food restrictions at university, allergies, and can't tolerate any oils). so basically what I'm asking is if i eat nuts with all my meals as a fat source will i become more unhealthy. I'm taking a tbsp of fish oil a day but i still don't know if that matters
Old 09-25-2011, 05:06 AM   #2
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
Re: diet help. omega 3:6

or can i forgo the addition of additional dat sources on paleo and just get away with meal consisting of meat, veg, fruit and some nuts as a snack.
i have unlimited access to meat and veg since my school has buffet style salad bars
Old 09-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Spencer James

Profile:

I think anyone who is eating something along the lines of "paleo" will have a hard time *not* getting enough fat. It's pretty surprising how much fat there is in a lot of cuts of meat, particularly the more delicious ones . Whenever I take the time to plug my food into FitDay or something, it seems like at least 40-50% of my calories come from fat, and I typically don't add more oil or anything than is necessary for cooking.

That said, there are lots of alternatives to coconut and olive oils. I love sesame oil, particularly for cooking cabbage or using any kind of Chinese spices/flavor with chicken or beef or whatever. I know some people like macadamia oil a lot. A strip of bacon can provide a lot of oil.

The 3:6 ratio doesn't really have to do much with the fat sources you're describing. The point of increasing 3s or taking fish oil is mainly to outcompete the 6s for the same biochemical processes. Olive oil consists mainly of monounsaturated fats (3s and 6s are polyunsaturated).

It is really easy to consume a ton of calories when you're eating nuts. Poison's always in the dose.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-...000000000.html wfs

A link to Omega 3 sources.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
i recently found out I'm allergic to olive oil/ canola(been eating it for awhile and getting weird reactions but didn't think that was the cause) and cannot tolerate coconut of any kind.
Well it's a good thing those aren't good sources of Omega 3's then (coconut has no O3 at all), not sure what the issue is Nuts are also not a good source of O3s, they will increase your O6 significantly and should be used sparingly and not as major source of fat/protein in your diet (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nuts-omega-6-fats/ wfs)

Plants are never a very good source of O3s; grass fed animal fat and fish fat are the best sources. So, keep eating meat and add a couple spoonfuls of fish oil, and you have no worries.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 09-25-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Chris Caruso

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
the only fat sources i can eat are nuts and from meat (due to food restrictions at university, allergies, and can't tolerate any oils).

I'm taking a tbsp of fish oil a day but i still don't know if that matters
So how exactly does your oil intolerance work? You mean just vegetable oils?
Old 09-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #7
Mark Davis

Profile:

Good link above. You can also add ground flax seed to just about anything.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davis View Post
Good link above. You can also add ground flax seed to just about anything.
Flax does technically contain Omega 3 in the form of ALA, but that has to be converted by your body into EPA, which is an incredibly inefficient process and can be blocked from completion quite easily. This means the amount of inflammation introduced in order to perform the conversion, is barely outweighed by the tiny amount of EPA that will be created.

Lyle Mcdonald on ALA/EPA/DHA (wfs page, not sure about site)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ALA-DHA-conversion-pathway-1017x1024.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	8400  
Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Natalie L. Cox

Profile:

If you are looking for additional options for good fats, ghee is amazing healthy stuff, and contains a good ratio of fats if sourced from grass fed cows.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Ash Smith

Profile:

If you like fish at all (say, canned tuna), then try sardines. They're best in olive oil, but given your sensitivity I would try them in water. Much lower in mercury than tuna, with much better oil levels.

I'm not a fish person, but love the occasional sushi or can of sardines (bone-in, skin on, it's all soft and edible...the boneless skinless ones are dry and bland).

They used to be a much more common part of the US diet before we overfished them and the canneries all closed their doors. These days most of the good ones from from the Mediterranean or North Sea. $1.50-$2.50 for a 4-oz tin at the grocery store.