CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Philip Rogers

Profile:
Too much fruit in paleo/zone diet?

Hello, my name is Phil and this is my first post here. I'm new to cross fit (1.5 months) and I've already shed nearly 20lbs and gained 8 reps on my pullups, and knocked over 3 minutes off of my 5k time! Incredible, but now I want more results and my diet needs to be cleaned up.

After watching a video in the Crossfit Journal about utilizing a Zone diet for best results with crossfit, I decided to give it a shot. I'm going to start with 20 blocks, but that just seems like a massive amount of fruit to consume to me. 180 grams of carbohydrates, all stemming from fruit. I'd think this would also include a lot of sugar and possibly hinder fat loss. Is there something I am missing here?

Do most strive for a paleo type zone diet, or do most crossfitters use a combination of complex carbohydrates (some grains, etc..) mixed in with fruits?

Thanks for any help,
Phil R.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
James Compora

Profile:
Re: Too much fruit in paleo/zone diet?

i use a combination of veggies and fruits for my blocks
Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Philip Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Compora View Post
i use a combination of veggies and fruits for my blocks
Good point, I just noticed that 2 cups broccoli = 1 block, so I will look for some more dense veggies rather than trying to get 20 blocks of mostly fruit in per day. As much as I'd like to eat that much fruit, but I've been known to go on crazy food binges after too much fruit, probably from the sweet taste.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Zach S

Profile:

With a paleo zone diet you want to get most of your carb blocks from veggies and some from fruit. All veggies fit into a block.

Alot of people use just the zone + cf and alot use a paleo/zone + cf, it all depends on your goals and how you can handle certain foods.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Philip Rogers

Profile:

Thanks, Zach. I think these two replies have got me on the right path. I'll give the paleo/zone diet a shot and see how it feels. I can't imagine being hungry after eating that many vegetables at once, wooo, goodness gracious.

I appreciate the help
Old 11-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Rogers View Post
Thanks, Zach. I think these two replies have got me on the right path. I'll give the paleo/zone diet a shot and see how it feels. I can't imagine being hungry after eating that many vegetables at once, wooo, goodness gracious.

I appreciate the help
Oh man you got that right, my 5 block meal tonight had:
5+ oz steak diced, grilled in olive oil with lots of green onions, 3 color peppers, yellow squash, marinara sauce
2 cups broccoli, 2 cups couliflower, spinach, romaine lettuce, green beans, carrots
3g fish oil, apple

I can tell you i was not hungry after that.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Are you sure you need 20 blocks? I'm managing pretty well so far on 16, and I'm pretty active. Though I think I'll need to up the fat in a few weeks... maybe try less blocks of protein/carbs but more fat blocks?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

If you're trying to lose fat, you might need to minimize the fruits/sugars/starches in general. Start by losing them after dark, then after lunch, etc.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Ryan Brown

Profile:

As jonathan mentioned, are you sure you need 20 blocks? What's your height/weight? 20 is fairly large prescription. Unless you're 190 lbs or more, with a high activity level, that probably won't be necessary. Especially seeing as how you're trying to lose BF.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Brown View Post
As jonathan mentioned, are you sure you need 20 blocks? What's your height/weight? 20 is fairly large prescription. Unless you're 190 lbs or more, with a high activity level, that probably won't be necessary. Especially seeing as how you're trying to lose BF.
what he said. also for breakfast i eat rolled oats(oatmeal) and 3/4 a cup is 45 g of carb. i really only eat fruit at lunch time and at diner only if i don't get enough carbs from veggies but by that time I'm usually to full to eat anymore so I just say f*** it. Def. lower your blocks. I used to think I needed 19 but after re-calculating everything I noticed I assumed to high of an activity level and lowered it. Now im at 15 blocks. It sucks at first cuz I'm hungry all the time but it's the price I have to pay to lean out, then I'll be able to x2-3 fat or add some blocks we'll see.