CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could get your advice on something. I've pretty recently switched over to working out with almost exclusively bodyweight movements, focusing mostly on strength. My goal has been to work toward a planche, front lever, and iron cross, but also to maintain decent metabolic conditioning. I've been going with the 3 on 1 off schedule. My workouts have been looking something like:
day 1: upperbody strength stuff, mostly centered around the planche and the muscles it uses, and then a crossfit type metabolic workout.
day 2: leg training, mostly through plyometrics and various types of squats.
day 3: upper body strength work centered around front lever work, pullups, and crosspullouts (supported).
At first I was progressing pretty good, although I attribute most of this to being new at the exercises. Lately my progress hasn't been as good. It's not so much that I've stalled, but on some of my workouts I am just wiped out. I was hoping I could get your advice on why this might be. Or actually I guess I'm hoping you can rule some things out for me. My first question is am I working too much? It doesn't seem like I'm doing more than I've read that others do, especially with bodyweight movements. Second, is it a bad idea to mix a lot of strength work with metcon workouts at the end? In my current routine i'm doint 3-4 metcon workouts every 7 days in addition to the bodyweight strength movements. Could it just be because I'm new to this type of stuff and it's going to take me a little while to learn to recover from it? Maybe it's another factor like diet? Or do I need to cut down on the number of exercises? If you wouldn't mind taking a quick glance at my training log to see the kind of stuff I've been doing I'd appreciate it. http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messa...054/38542.html

Basically I just want to know if I'm doing way too much, or if this looks like a reasonable amount of work and if I need to look elsewhere for the problem.

Thank you for any input you have.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Ben Nance

Profile:
What exactly do you mean by "wiped out"? Are you talking about feeling sore, weak, or lethargic?

Your workout actually seems to be very similar to mine...you can check out my log if you like... but I normally do ring work and follow that with a run or something later in the day.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Hmmmm. You posted in my log right? I looked for yours but didn't see any with your name on it. What is it called?

And by wiped out I mean weak mostly. For example with handstand holds a while ago I did a set of 3 for 1:30 each. It was hard, but it felt pretty good and I got it done. Tried it again recently and it took EVERYTHING I had to hold on for the second set of a 1:30, and the first set I was actually trying for 2 minutes and couldn't make it. With the metcon stuff my muscles just feel really tired. Usually It feels like I can push myself all day. I mean yeah I start breathing really heavy and it feels like I want to throw up, but my body doesn't feel really tired right from the start. I mean I wasn't breathing hard at all and I just felt tired and weak.

Maybe this is something that just happens sometimes, or maybe my sleep isn't good enough because of school, although it's not horrible. I just want to make sure I'm not overdoing it.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
looking at what you wrote, looks like what happened to me. starting overtraining/ under recovery.
I took a week 'of'doing 50% training and slowly work back up. Now almost 2 months later my times are still not up to par.
Training is fun, but rest and your health are even more importand.
take care, have fun, Johan
Old 04-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Ben Nance

Profile:
I would think that you need to take some recovery time. I would start checkng your resting heart rate every day. I'm guessing that you'll find that it's elevated a little bit which means you should take it easy.

There's a very fine line between just working through tiredness and overtraining. I would say that you should take a couple days of active recovery. Do light reps of some excercises and see how it goes.

BTW...mine is the 'war with self' log
Old 04-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:
3:1 is extremely rough even for highly conditioned people.... and you're not just doing CF but also strength workouts as well. Take a break or do 50% workouts.

I would advise a lighter schedule to build up to that. Start off with 1:1 and then build up from there.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Saying that your sleep is affected by school means that your diet must also be affected. While I was in college I had a terrible time getting a balanced diet, mostly by choice, but in the time since graduation I have gotten away from cafeteria food and started making my own meals. I feel I do a much better job getting a balanced diet. I probably eat more calories now than I ever did in college but my timing and nutrient balance is far greater. I dropped from 215 to, at present, 175 and have increased my deadlift by close to 100 lbs, squat by 75, clean by 100 lbs, and mile run time has dropped by 2.5 minutes. I owe most of that to diet and the rest to the crossfit regimen. I graduated two years ago and started changing my diet, have added crossfit the last two months. When working harder, you must give your body more and better nutrients.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Lack of recovery. You need to watch the diet and be good about sleep if you are going to place that kind of stress on your body. This is especially true when you have school stresses to take into account as well...
I would say build into this slowly. But for now give yourself some time off to ensure that you don't wreck yourself for a long period of time.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #9
Nathan Stanley

Profile:
I think maybe scaling back the workouts instead of increasing rest time might help you as well. The advice I've been given in regards to strength endurance is to do it 5-6 days a week, but take it easy. I'm training for GS, so your goals may be different than mine, or you may not feel what you're doing is supposed to be strength-endurance. In any case, its a thought.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:
Metcon should be scaled down; strength work should be cut back and built up.

edit: Well, that's not actually true in some cases if you manage volume correctly.

(Message edited by braindx on April 17, 2007)