CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Valerie Stewart

Profile:
Registration for 2009 games

Hi folks,
Can anyone tell me when we can attempt!! to register for the 2009 Crossfit Games? I know it gets filled up pretty well instantaneouly but I might step out on a limb and register and HOPE they have age categories for my 'creeping-up-there' age category! Thanks, Valerie
Old 08-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: Registration for 2009 games

The hot rumor is that next year's Games won't have open registration. You'll first have to participate in a regional qualifier, and only the top athletes will be allowed to register for the Games.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Michael Ricketts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
The hot rumor is that next year's Games won't have open registration. You'll first have to participate in a regional qualifier, and only the top athletes will be allowed to register for the Games.
That sounds like it would make for some fierce competition and a really cool games to watch!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

That's the idea. Aside from creating a more competitive field, it will also allow them to limit the number of participants without being unfair to anyone. This years games went off pretty well, but the large number of competitors made it necessary to have all three of the Day1 events running simultaneously. This made it almost impossible for spectators to see everything they wanted to. The regional competitions will also be good in the respect that they will help to galvanize the regional CrossFit communities.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Bring it on! I've already altered my training, just mainsite WODs for me, other than the random challengen (i.e. CF Albany Challenge).
Old 08-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Quote:
What's your source on that?

I mean i've heard it on the forum as well but far from something official like Coach, main page or HQ video.

Not that I'd be against but curious to see.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Giraud View Post
What's your source on that?

I mean i've heard it on the forum as well but far from something official like Coach, main page or HQ video.

Not that I'd be against but curious to see.

Some individuals from HQ were heard talking about it at a recent cert. That's about as specific as I'll get. Like I said, it's the hot rumor, not the official word.

Realistically, it's the next logical step. The opportunity is there for the Games to be more than just a big CrossFit party. Done properly, it could become just as big an event as the Strongman competitions. The Games is a chance to show the world the very best that CrossFit has to offer. Part of that means limiting the competition to those who can COMPETE. Obviously, there were a lot of people the past two years who just did it to say they did it. I have nothing against these people; they're all valued members of the CrossFit community. However, I don't think spectators want to pay to see people doing scaled workouts.

The other big aspect of this is the level of organization that is going to be required. First, who gets to host the regional qualifiers? There are a lot of factors to consider, such as accessibility, available resources and - of course - seniority (hey, politics is life). Then you have the matter of the WOD's. All the qualifiers would have to do the same events for a fair comparison, and all of the qualifier competitions would have to be on the same days to prevent the competitors from any location from having any advantage over the others. I would also think that, in consideration for those who would have to travel for both events, the qualifiers would have to be held at least 8 weeks prior to the actual Games.

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me for one day.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods : 08-28-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

What about those who don't belong to a CF gym?

Could they participate in the regional qualifiers?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Quote:
Some individuals from HQ were heard talking about it at a recent cert. That's about as specific as I'll get. Like I said, it's the hot rumor, not the official word.
Cool, just wanted to know, thanks for sharing
Old 08-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Logically, there would have to be sectional qualifying in addition to regional qualifying. If demand was big enough, every affiliate could have an open competition for all affiliate members and garage gym goers in the area. Then the affiliate sends the top three men and women to the sectional, then the best move on to the regional, and so forth. It would be pretty cool. Kinda like qualifying for the US Open in golf.