CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Charlie Park

Profile:
question about raising a dog.

my mom hate pets but recently she said i can raise a dog in the backyard because of the pest problems we been having (raccoons, skunks, snakes,cats,etc). She is hoping the dog will scare them away. im dieing to have a dog but i dont know if i should. She said she will never allow the dog to be in the house and if it gets too cold she said she is willing to let it stay in the garage but not in the house. is it okay to raise it only in the backyard? i feel its bit cruel to not let it inside the house at night...is there a way to keep him warm?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Melissa Urban

Profile:
Re: question about raising a dog.

Good lord, you should not get a dog under those conditions.

Scaring away wildlife is a terrible reason to get a dog. Raising a dog outside (or in an unheated garage) through a winter in New Jersey is not humane.

In addition, dogs are pack creatures - your family becomes their "pack". It is not good for a dog's constitution to be kept isolated day in and day out, especially under those conditions.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

When I lived in Erie,PA, not known for mild winters, my ex's dad had a gentlemens farm on which he had a 3 dogs. One of those dogs, a german shepard, lived outside all the time. They had really nice dog hous for it with rubber door and insulation. The dad also spent a great deal of time outside with Patches. THe dog lived till about 16.

It can be done, but it's alot of work, you have to go outside every monring to feed the dog, no matter the weather. Also, Patches wasn't as cuddly and affectionate as the two indoor dogs since it didn't spend as much time with people.

I don't know if this will happen in your case, but in the event of coyotes, and you can't find ammo to the 30-30, pointy farm implements work better than a bat.

And now after bring up that lovely memory, I'm going to the gym.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
Good lord, you should not get a dog under those conditions.

Scaring away wildlife is a terrible reason to get a dog. Raising a dog outside (or in an unheated garage) through a winter in New Jersey is not humane.

In addition, dogs are pack creatures - your family becomes their "pack". It is not good for a dog's constitution to be kept isolated day in and day out, especially under those conditions.
Agreed.

IMHO, this is not the "right" reason to get a dog. And just as Melissa says "your family becomes their '"pack,'" I believe your dog becomes a member of your family.

I think before anyone (especially a first time owner) brings a dog into the family, they should at least do some reading...

Family Dog is a decent book - wfs
http://www.amazon.com/Family-Dog-Ric...9419855&sr=8-1
Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Bob Guere

Profile:

I agree...not the best scenario in the least to bring in a new dog. The pack mentality is so true, and without that, they'll form their own little pack in the yard, and they will dominate you (or try) every time you go back there. Dogs need to be attended to just like a child almost. Spend a good year when you get him/her training with the pack in mind and you'll have the most loyal, loving pet you can ask for.

Of course, large areas with barns, farms, etc. do successfully have outdoor/barn animals, but remember, the owners are out there with them all day working the land and being pack leaders.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

+1 what Melissa said. Dogs are more like your children than a wild animal to be left outside on their own. They need socialization.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Jason David

Profile:

I feel bad locking my dog in the kitchen with his cool-a-roo and a full bowl of food!!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Paul Findley

Profile:

Get a lion.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Charlie Park

Profile:

gosh lol it sounds like my dog is going to get abused or something. Please dont get it wrong lol reason for making this thread is because i care and l love dogs. Not because i want to get a dog as pest repellent and see if it can survive.

my backyard got fences and its size is about medium playground. We do not have a lot of pest problems.We live in one of the biggest towns in NJ so i do not see a lot of wild life around. Its just an excuse for me to get a dog. i have never seen any of those pests but i think some are lurking around at night. only thing i seen was a cat. Of course i want to get a dog because i love dogs. i just thought this would be a good opportunity to get it. My dad and i love dogs. my mom is the only one who is against it. im going to college full time and work part time but i will spend all the time i can with it. im just concerned about the dog's safety during winter.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
Charlie Park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Findley View Post
Get a lion.
ehhh i dont know about lions. i like my hands attached to my body.