CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-28-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
Nick Busch

Profile:
Dropping in

Just wanted to post in the forum after lurking here for a month or so. I am in my early 30's and have lost 60-70lbs of fat and gained 15-20lbs of muscle over the course of two years. I am changing jobs within the next month, so I figured its time to change my routine. Its time to finish cutting the fat! I was directed here by an online friend of mine who suggested Crossfit to help me lose my remaining 20lbs. Currently I have been doing a 4-day heavy-weight split, along with 3 days of 30min cardio sessions on a treadmill, and have hit a weightloss wall. It is to my understanding that Crossfit is somewhat the opposite of what I've been doing (all but the cardio) and I believe it will help me lose the remaining fat. Most importantly I just want to continue to improve my overall health. I look forward to gaining cardiovascular endurance and speed within my workouts.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by Nick Busch : 03-28-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
Ian Haya

Profile:
Re: Dropping in

I think most people here are going to ask how your diet is. Nutrition is the foundation of CrossFit, the base of the Fitness "pyramid".

The CrossFit workouts are the stimulus, they will provide the ideal environment to either lose fat or gain muscle, but....

HOW MUCH you eat will determine how much weight you gain/lose

WHAT you eat will determine what you gain or lose (you don't want to lose muscle and gain fat!)

Most will suggest looking into Zone/Paleo.

Some common things to consider when one loses a lot of weight and then hits a weightloss "wall" is what is happening to the metabolism. As you get smaller, the lower your metabolism is going to be. If you have consistently been in a caloric deficit, then you may have entered "starvation mode" and your body is throttling back, trying to hold onto every last useful bit of energy stores, especially if your diet was low in fat. In other words, the "diet sized" meals that you had planned out at the beginning of your weight loss are probably just "maitenance sized" now. Also, give your body more good fat (fish, nuts, seeds, olive oil, etc.) to feed on, and it won't hold onto your fat stores. The "fat phobia" created by the mass media is the one of the biggest mental obstacles that people have to overcome.

Welcome to CrossFit! The best fitness stimulus out there! A great community here as well. I'm sure you'll find plenty of info and help. A great deal of info can be found by just searching the archives.

Last edited by Ian Haya : 03-28-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
Nick Busch

Profile:
Re: Dropping in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Haya View Post
I think most people here are going to ask how your diet is. Nutrition is the foundation of CrossFit, the base of the Fitness "pyramid".

The CrossFit workouts are the stimulus, they will provide the ideal environment to either lose fat or gain muscle, but....

HOW MUCH you eat will determine how much weight you gain/lose

WHAT you eat will determine what you gain or lose (you don't want to lose muscle and gain fat!)

Most will suggest looking into Zone/Paleo.

Some common things to consider when one loses a lot of weight and then hits a weightloss "wall" is what is happening to the metabolism. As you get smaller, the lower your metabolism is going to be. If you have consistently been in a caloric deficit, then you may have entered "starvation mode" and your body is throttling back, trying to hold onto every last useful bit of energy stores, especially if your diet was low in fat. In other words, the "diet sized" meals that you had planned out at the beginning of your weight loss are probably just "maitenance sized" now. Also, give your body more good fat (fish, nuts, seeds, olive oil, etc.) to feed on, and it won't hold onto your fat stores. The "fat phobia" created by the mass media is the one of the biggest mental obstacles that people have to overcome.

Welcome to CrossFit! The best fitness stimulus out there! A great community here as well. I'm sure you'll find plenty of info and help. A great deal of info can be found by just searching the archives.

Thanks for your reply! What you had to say seems logical. Yeah, I have been on a low fat diet/low calorie plan primarily the entire time. I believe its time for a change. I will look into the Zone/Palaeo plan. Thanks again!