CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I did the Double-Unders and the Push Press workouts back to back, and I did better on the Push Press than I thought I would. Not great, but better than I thought I would, and it occurred to me that the Double-under movement, under fatigue, for me, is almost exactly like the start of the Push Press. I have to jump like hell, and yell and grunt, and it hurts, and it's hard.

This led to the further thought that the Repetitive Effort concept is applied extensively through the WOD's. Almost nobody can straight set everything without difficulty, which means you reach the point of momentary failure, or verge of failure. This is the Repetitive Effort method.

Tonight, my legs will fail on the Tabata Squats. They just will, they will stop moving correctly and responding readily to my will. This is the Repetitive Effort method. This is a big part of how us big guys maintain strength without lifting big weights all the time. We're lifting RELATIVELY (to our capacity) maximal loads all the time.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:34 AM   #2
Pat Janes

Profile:

I have to tell you, Barry, you absorbed more of Zatsiorsky than did I.

I recognise the concepts that you've been pulling from the book and applying to CF, but I haven't made any of the connections myself. Keep it up though; you're like my "study notes", reminding me of what I should have picked up the 1st time around.

I also think that CF makes it pretty clear that the science is behind the practice in terms of programming, but applying the science retrospectively still helps us to understand how things are working.

I'm forever fascinated by how CF (or the WOD as a one size fits all) accomplishes what it does. I don't come anywhere near to understanding it, but it's fun to think about.

Things like, "how did my back squat increase by 10kg without doing anything resembling a back squat in months?". That happened to me and similar things happen to people around here all the time.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Hope this isn't too far off topic, but Barry you mention Tabata squats to muscle failure which is my current obsession. Given that they come up so infrequently in the WOD I've been adding them to the end of workouts that I don't find overly taxing "cardio-wise".

My question is whether this is a bad thing in the long run. My knowledge is limited to the "What is Fitness" issue of the journal (and a few bumbling searches of the site) which seemed to indicate that the tabata protocol would not sap strength like traditional "cardio".

I'd likely be better off mixing it up to include burpees, kb swings, wall ball, etc., but I'm really hooked on that whole inability to walk thing I get after the squats.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I had difficulty locating my watch the other day, and was trying to come up with something close to Tabata but doable without a watch, and one idea I came up with was taking your normal score, say 18, and adding 5 to it, and doing eight sets of that, with a 10 second rest. Normally, you can hammer the first few sets, but it catches up with you. In this scenario, you keep the reps the same, but the work interval would increase. However, you keep the rest interval the same. You count to 10, then go again. Just do them as fast as you can. If that doesn't give you a good lactic acid burn, I don't know what would.

Is it good? Hell if I know. Keep doing it. See what happens. Cain't hurt nothin'.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
Michael Keller

Profile:
Barry, I do the same thing sometimes in my workouts. I may do push-presses or something similar, and start out with 15 reps, rest 10 secs and do 8-10 reps, rest 10 secs and then do 4-6 reps, while increasing the weight each set. This is based on Art De Vany's evolutionary fitness model, and I like the concept a lot.

Michael, I do the same thing often. I don't see a problem with it at all.