CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Fruit on Paleo

I am following the Paleo diet and was wondering how much fruit is acceptable per day (or per week). I am at college and the fruit/vegetable situation here is horrendous. At breakfast, i am lucky if they have edible raspberries or strawberries, which usually dont happen. Also, i am stuck most of the time with eating 2-3 apples per day, which i want to try to steer away from. Would eating a banana once per day along with an apple or two be too much fruit for a person on the Paleo diet? BTW, i can only get vegetables in 1-2 of my meals per day due to the food being served changes everyday.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Austin Peck

Profile:
Re: Fruit on Paleo

I am in college too, and I was trying out paleo for a while...if your dining hall is anything like the ones here at Berkeley it's going to be pretty difficult. For one, our points only allow for 2 meals a day, so I have switched from 5-6 balanced meals a day to 2 large meals plus decent sized snacks between against my will.

Second, paleo calls for lean meats (reasoning behind this is that wild game that was caught was much leaner than the fattened for the slaughter meat we see today), and I found that most of the readily available meats are fatty (bacon at breakfast, sausage at breakfast, hot links, hamburgers, etc).

And beyond that, the options available when not in the dining common are even worse. The food stops around campus have mainly sandwhiches and (per Berkeley's 40 plus percent asian student population) noodles, rice, and terriyaki dishes.

Hopefully it's easier for you to pull off, and in regards to the fruits...paleo is unlimited fruits and veggies. I actually found without enough fruit I didn't have enough energy for CF with paleo...some people might respond better to less fruit, but that is my experience.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Fruit is important, but easy to overdo. I remember a post by Dr. G a while back saying that he had a patient who had prediabetic blood sugar levels at least partially due to his insane fruit intake (I seem to remember something like 12+ servings/day).

With that said, I would do whatever I could to keep the fruits as low density as possible. Berries, apples are good, bananas not so much but not the end of the world, and I think melon is alright, especially PWO. You can keep all of these fruits at room temp. but the berries will turn rather quickly, so you may be going to the store often.

I take it both of you are in the dorms and not in an apartment or house? I'm sure we can get some ideas on more options for you two and any other college CF'ers for fruit, veggies and lean meats.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:28 AM   #4
Dan Heaney

Profile:

I eat 1 small banana every day and usually some strawberries for breatfast. I also eat an apple sometimes 2 and as far as veggies I eat a bag of spinach and a bag of broccoli or broc, cauli, carrot medely a day. If it's a training day I drop the apple for a PWO. Somehow I find it hard to believe your going to get fat eating apples. If you really concrened stick to lower GI fruits

Fruits Glycemic Index Score Carbohydrate G.I. Type
Cherries 22 10 g Low G.I
Grapefruit 25 6 g Low G.I
Pear 37 10 g Low G.I
Plum 38 9 g Low G.I
Apple 39 12 g Low G.I
Strawberries 40 6 g Low G.I
Peach 42 7 g Med G.I
Orange 44 6 g Med G.I
Grapes 46 15 g Low-Med G.I
Banana 54 23 g Low-Med G.I
Apricots 57 7.5 g Med G.I
Old 02-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Jack Gayton

Profile:

I tend to agree w/ Dan on fruit consumption. I'm currently adjusting to Paleo and the past few weeks have been rough. I started logging my meals in fitday and saw how few calories I was eating and how few carbs. I started aiming for more zone proportions. I added some additional fruit and doubled my veggies to get my carbs up, I'm already starting to feel better.

As far as the college situation.. When I was in college, we had a mini fridge or two in our dorm room. Usually had a small freezer section too. Maybe you could store some mixed berries or blueberries in there. Then, if you invest in a blender you could make a quick paleo shake - coconut milk, almonds, 1 cup berries. I also add protein powder (my concession). If you're hardcore on paleo, then you could use this as a side dish to be eaten w/ lean meats.

Also, I guess I can say this since the statute of limitations has passed, but I was never above snagging a few pieces or fruit, or even some meat and cheese from the dining hall and using it later as a snack. Please don't tell SUNY Albany..
Old 02-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Craig Brown

Profile:

There's also some cool things people don't ofetn think about as options- I used to buy whole cooked ducks in Chinatown, grilled chicken and beef from a killer Mexican resturant in the Mission (free salsa!) in big cartons...look for options within your area. Right now I am working insane amounts, and my main food intake is spinach (bags of it) brocolli, cauliflower, chicken (buying whole roast chickens), etc. I keep a half gallon of olive oil and a quart of balsamic vinegar at the office, and make my own dressings. It's more an issue of taking the time to really see what is viable in your situation and area.

Fruit specific, it's personal. I eat less than some, more than some. If I am trying to lose fat I eat less, if I need more 'ooomf' I have more.

Craig
Old 02-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Austin- I am forced to eat a sandwhich three times a week because i have four classes on monday, wednesday and friday with no breaks in between and it is the only option avaliable for me (i supplement it with nuts).

Derek- yes i am in a dorm, but the good thing is that i am only 30mins away from home so i can stock up every other weekend or so on food.

Dan- it kind of feels like im getting fat because i have to eat either bananas or apples most of the time + i eat nuts as my main source of fat so eating these two together is good for pre WO but i feel bad when i eat it any other time of the day. BTW thanks for the GI chart on fruit it helps alot.

Jack- i do have a blender and thanks for the shake, i will give it a try. I also take a couple fruits/meats whenever i eat in the dining hall with the buffet
Old 02-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Hey Joe (haha, Hendrix... couldn't resist):

A lot of college students have similar problems. Either it's not convenient on campus to get healthy foods (a shame), or it's too expensive to obtain them off campus.

Since another main problem that a lot of students seem to have is the [in]convenience of trying to plan Zone meals in between classes and around their schedules, it comes down to the planning as much as it does to the acquisition of the meal.

I'd suggest you tinker with Intermittent Fasting and Paleo and see how that goes for a few weeks. Zone has some distinct advantages (as do Paleo/IF), but it's not very well-suited to the college lifestyle.

Paleo/IF would require you to go shopping ($$), but it would eliminate the problem of having to eat between classes. It takes some getting used to, but is a very viable option. I, and many others here, have done it at least for a while, and have had excellent results -- increased energy, better sleep, etc. (many of the benefits that Zone showcases). You still need to figure out a place to get the food for cheap, but at least it might solve the inconvenience issue.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Chad Lott

Profile:

Austin-

I go to Berkeley as well, and I totally feel you on the food thing. There isn't even anything really worthwhile in walking distance.