CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-04-2004, 07:50 PM   #1
Gordon Richmond

Profile:
I thought I had posted this already today, but I guess something didn't work (forgive me if a very similar thread shows up).

Also, I posted a similar question awhile ago, but I wasn't specific anough in getting my question across. I asked about military people doing Crossfit in addition to physical training, but most of the answers I got were from people who actuallt ran their unit's PT.

Anyway, I'm still trying to get into Crossfit, but I need some help figuring out whether or not I should do the WODs in the correct order or how I should pu them together. Long story short, I do Army ROTC and am on the Ranger Challenge team (we work on tactics and mission-oriented skills). Anyway, we meet almost every day of the week.

Here is an approximation what this last week of RC looked like:
Monday: 5 mile jog, the last mile of which we took turns carrying sandbags
Tuesday: Morning combatives (low intensity, beginner martial arts), evening work on rope bridge, casualty evacuation, things of the like
Wednesday: 55lbs Ruck March
Thursday: Off
Friday: Work on rope bridge, other mission-oriented tasks
Saturday: Field training exercise all day (obstacle course, possibly land navigation practice)
Sunday: Off

How can I work Crossfit into this schedule? Should I just try to do each day's WOD or change it?

Also, when Ranger Challenge season ends, I'll do regular PT (M-W-F) which is running, push-ups, sit-ups, etc, but usually pretty easy. How can I work Crossfit into this?

Thanks for your help
Old 10-05-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Start by doing as much of the WODs you can handle in addition to all your normal training. This probably means that you will be doing half of the reps, or load. If you have the time, try and keep the CrossFit training as separate as possible from your other workouts time wise (to give yourself time to recover). If your best performance is required for your 'other' workouts, do the WODs after everything else is complete.

After a period of time, your body will adapt and complete WODs will become part of your regular regimen. Your recovery time will reduce significantly, and your other training will become easy in comparison (after a brief rest period).
Old 10-06-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Gordon-

A couple of approaches come to mind:
1) Do 2-3 WOD (when possible) as hard as you can and as closely as prescribed. This can be on off days, the ruck or the jog.

2) Do a fraction of the WOD every day it is posted. If for example it is Barbara cut the #'s in half and do only 2-3 rounds. Fran would be perhaps 12-9-6 with a 45lb bar.

What Jeremy mentions regarding adaptation is righton. Things will be rough in the beginning but given time you will be doing both the WOD and your "sport". A little common sense comes to play as well. If you have a long run for PT and the WOD calls for loads of running (or squatting/wallball) m you may ned to sift through the archives and find a strength oriented/upper body emphasis WOD.

Keep us posted!
Robb

Old 10-10-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
Jim Glover

Profile:
If you haven't read the Crossfit Journal that you can access from the home page I highly recommend that you read that and follow their nutrition guidelines.

I don't train anywhere as much as you do right now but I work crazy hours with no set schedule and with only 8 to 10 hours off at a time sometimes and I find that I recover much quicker and have better workouts when I keep my diet clean especially when I am lacking on rest.

Train hard, eat clean, and get plenty of sleep.

Good luck.