CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #61
Aaron Trent

Profile:
Re: goals and elite fitness vs. elite athletes

Matt, have you done this competition yet, do you have a time?
Are you in phenomenal physical shape at this point in your life?

If you are not in killer shape then you first need to reach that point.

Your next step is going to be building a base. Do stair and hill sprints to build power in your legs and increase your lung capacity. Do grip and pulling work. You can do power and strength work but you must figure out what bodyweight is optimal for your performance and then you must maintain that.
As you progress, you can start doing "brick" training where you do multiple elements of of the competition in the order in which you will see them.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #62

Profile:

I'm not going to get involved in this one but to clear up the point about Eva:

1. She was not using CF at any point in her skiing career.

2. As she neared Oly meets, she had to reduce and finally drop CF completely and train specifically for Oly.

3. She competed in the Master's division. This is not intended to belittle her accomplishment of winning the Masters national champ title, but it's important to understand that the lifts being performed in Masters divisions are considerably lower than those in the senior/open division.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #63
Matthew Mills

Profile:

I have run the course in prep for my first comp. My time was 2:10. I'm hoping to be near 2:00 a month from now for San Diego. 2:00 would actually be a fairly respectable time for somebody 5'10" their first time out. The guys that dominate are around 6'2" and up. I'm lifting heavy, doing interval training on the course, and doing metcons at the fire station. Just wondering if I'm best served with short metcons, say 10 minutes and less, or would the long ones also help?

Btw, I'd love to see what an awesome athlete like Speal could do on that course. I mean, almost nobody doing this is under 200 lbs...would be cool to see a 135 pounder go in and kick butt!
Old 06-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #64
Dave Gibbs

Profile:

From personal experience I would agree with Stevens analysis. Before starting crossfit last year my training was almost entirely rowing based. Although I would not describe myself as an elite rower my C2 times were certainly in the top 5% for my age group.
Since introducing more mixed modality training the simple fact is my times are considerably worse with the exception of 500m time which has improved by 2secs and 1000m time by a similar margin. My 5k has gone off by a minute and 10k nearly 3.
My all round strength and conditioning is much improved and I am far healthier now than I was when banging out 100ks a week but if I wanted to go back to competing on the erg again I would have to remove the mjority of the CF style work from my regimin.
I dont think any of this is a surprise to anyone who understands that CF is anti-specialization but should be considered by those that answer 'just follow main page and zone' to any question about anything related to any sport.