CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Brian Behn

Profile:
2 new workouts

I have been doing these recently. Try them out and tell me what you think about these:

The Punisher: 300 double unders for time. That is it, except for every break or missed DU you have to do 10 burpees. Ends up being 300 double unders and about 60 burpees. Serious met-con.

Fran- Use 2 x 20kg kettlebells and rings for chin ups. For me this is a strength workout, not as much as a met con as I can only do about 7 reps of each at a go.

BMB
Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Re: 2 new workouts

The punisher for me would be 300 doubleunders and about 1000 burpees...

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I like the idea of the punisher concept. I could see adding it to something like a certain amount of " x " skill and failure being burpees. Personally, I've never been fond and particularly skillful in double unders. I do know that an algorithmic scale up of burpee punishment was very useful as behavior modification in my gymnasts.

Let's see 2 to 3 double unders at a time, but I could probably keep up that rate since I wouldn't be getting tired. Until of course I would get dirt tired from burpees and it would be 1-2. 1000 burpees easy. Screw that. Might get done in a few hours.

How about L or weighted pullups for a strength Fran or perhaps pullup to levers? Would using much lighter KB really equate to being a " strength " Fran?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Behn View Post
I have been doing these recently. Try them out and tell me what you think about these:

The Punisher: 300 double unders for time. That is it, except for every break or missed DU you have to do 10 burpees. Ends up being 300 double unders and about 60 burpees. Serious met-con.

Fran- Use 2 x 20kg kettlebells and rings for chin ups. For me this is a strength workout, not as much as a met con as I can only do about 7 reps of each at a go.

BMB
Ha! Hell, I'd be doing 60ish burpees if I were just doing 300 single-unders! Good idea, though... I've seen some similar ideas somewhere, I think it was at the Rosstraining site.

I like the idea of that for handstands, lever progressions, ect... you're trying to total 60 seconds, and for every break you get 10 burpees. It'd make me more likley to dominate my body through willpower. Or if you're trying to set a metcon PR... one burpee for every second over your previous PR.

2 x 20kg KB = 88 lbs... not that much less than the 95 lb fran, esp considering there's no bar. Guess it depends on how big you are... it'd be a strength workout for me at 134ish BW, but maybe not so much for a 200 lb guy.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Brian Behn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post

2 x 20kg KB = 88 lbs... not that much less than the 95 lb fran, esp considering there's no bar. Guess it depends on how big you are... it'd be a strength workout for me at 134ish BW, but maybe not so much for a 200 lb guy.
While the total poundage for the "fran" is actually lower, it seems much harder as the bar acts to stabilize the movement. Try fran with #45 LB dumbells and you will feel the difference.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

I like them. Back high school the double under workout would have taken me 4-5 minutes tops, but I am not so confident in my jump roping ability these days. The kettlebell workout looks fun, though I would have to use 24s or possibly 32s if I was feeling tough. Maybe throw on a weight vest or strap on a kettlebell for the pull-ups then.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I've used that punisher concept before with other self programmed WODs.

Good idea on the KB+ ring pull up Fran. Serious arse whooper there.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

I like the "Medicine Mile" throw a medicine ball one mile, you can't run with it you have to stop and throw it. Throw it any way.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
Alix Clark

Profile:

I am loving that Medicine Ball Mile - I reckon I'd be saying some bad words by the end of that one - can't wait to give it a try!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

hurts so good