CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
I just got my 1.5 pood kettlebell and would like to start preparing for the RKC in April of next year. Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about this? As it is I do the WOD 3 on 1 off. Should I take one of the three WOD's and make it a kettlebell workout, if so how should I pick which workout to change?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
email me at kbfiremantom@yahoo.com Put your phone # and a good time to call if you want.
I got my RKC in June of 2003, was an asst. instructor at the April 2005 RKC, and just did the level 2 cert in June of 2005.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
Don Stevenson

Profile:
1. Talk to Tom

2. I like to do the WODs as posted and use kettlebells instead of dumbells for lots of the exercises.

I also add some kettlebell stuff to the warm up on most days or will do a complete kettlebell session earlier or later than the WOD.

If you build a good level of fitness through crossfit then all you have to worry about is a bit of SPP for the snatch test and making sure you are comfortable with all the basic drills.

If you want, i can send you a copy of my snatch prep program which is designed to help people get their snatch numbers up in the last 8 weeks before the RKC course. just email me at fitness@octogen.com.au

I did the RKC in October last year and i'm now Australia's only active RKC ( i think)
Old 08-24-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
1. Listen to Don

2. Get his program

You have plenty of time to prepare. The big thing will be learning to snatch very smooth - literaly having a seemly transition when you punch up. The smoother you are, the less banging your forearms will take. Build up your conditioning with 1 arm swings, 10 R/ 10 L / 10 R / 10 L .... etc., etc. Then do 15, then 20, then 25. Practice your snatches at the beginning of your workouts to hone your technique. Use the 1 pood to do this.The timing is the key. You'll learn the exact moment and angle to punch thru and lock out.

While this will prepare you for the RKC Snatch test, but you'll need to practice the 2 hand swing, the Turkish Get Up, the Front Squat, the Windmill, Pressing and cleaning. You'll need to be able to do LOTS of low rep sets of each. It is three LONG days of lifting KBs.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:46 AM   #5
bill fox

Profile:

Listen to Tom and Don.

I'll see you at the April cert.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:48 AM   #6
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
Thanks guys, I'll be in touch.