CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:29 AM   #1
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I am looking into maybe getting some qualifications to teach fitness and what not. I want to get certified through CF when I have the chance in my schedule to make it, being in Japan doesn't make that any easier, I would love to open a Crossfit Japan. I think they would really love it here. Anyway I saw this site:

http://www.issaonline.com/

What I am wondering is, are they any good? Is it ligit? Or just a waste of money? Right now I need something where I don't have to be in the US to study. Any ideas or comments welcome.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:23 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Michael-

I would focus on really understanding the content of the crossfit journals, in particular what is fitness, what is crossfit, metabolic conditioning, and squatting. Find some O-lifting/gymnastics coaching and you are set!
Robb
Old 12-21-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Oh don't misunderstand me on this. I am really only interested in CF, as I don't think there is much that is better out there. But I was thinking that if I wanted to do something here in Japan I should have some kind of certificates, the Japanese are all about the paperwork. I mainly just want to get certified by CF and go from there. The main problem with that is I live in Japan and getting to CF is not that easy, so I was thinking what is there via online. And that is where the thread came from.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:34 AM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
I think the NASM will certify you over the net. In fact, I think the test is web based. ISSA seems pretty well thought of, although it is probably not as well recognized as NSCA's CSCS certification.

Tyler
Old 08-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
I found ISSA a little heavy on the body building, but that's my own bias. At the least, it's a well-recognized cert here in the US. And the NASM exam, as well as all of the study and support materials are available over the net (last time I checked).
Old 08-12-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:
ISSA is a good cert, and you are correct, the technique leans towards bodybuilding. I am not sure if you can take the NASM test on-line. You can study on line and at home, but I am sure you have to go to a proxy for the test. NASM, ACSM, NSCA, ACE are all NCCA/NOCA accredited, so you have to go to a ptivate facility to take the test. I am not sure if the ISSA is NCCA/NOCA accredited. In Japan, I am sure it won't matter. I lean toward the IFPA over the ISSA. www.ifpa-fitness.com. and you can take the test at home and send it in. They have applied for the accreditation.