CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I just saw something that gave me the best idea to help spread the CF virus. I got the idea from an email ad in Personal Fitness Professional (a crappy personal trainer magazine, they send it to me for free).

They built a gym inside a racquetball court!!! I salivated at the possibilities for CF. From what I've seen, racquetball just isn't as popular as it used to be and many courts aren't making money for the facilities. The gym owner gets a new form of income stream off CF trainers doing something different, clients get the best way to get in shape anywhere! Seems like a win-win to me!

This is all I know about it at this time, just an idea I wanted to share with the masses...
Old 06-27-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
The gym at the Australian defence force academy must have been modeled on a commercial squash centre because it had 7 courts!

After figuring out that there weren't that many squash players in the whole defence force the PTIs made two courts into a boxing studio, 2 into a cardio theatre and put the local rugby teams OLY platform and weights in another.

I thought that was a much better use for them!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
Andrew Brown

Profile:
The US Air Force Academy has something like 25 racquetball courts at its gym. People play racquetball, but at least half of the courts have been converted to things like a cybex room, treadmill/bike room, karate clubrooms, cheerleading room, scuba club room....
Old 06-28-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
will schrenk

Profile:

Hi,

Out of curiosity, how did they equip the court?

Will
Old 06-29-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
If you are asking me how they equipped it in the ad I saw, it was with those multi-directional cable machines, some benches, and some dumbbells. It could be done a whole lot better and more functional at the same time. Glad to hear others have heard of this, it was the first time I'd heard of it...
Old 06-30-2005, 10:39 AM   #6
Stephen Troy

Profile:

Garrett, the wooden court floors are surprisingly easy to dent. Make sure you have platforms. We've had KBs bounce/roll off a too-small platform and ding a raquetball court's floor.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
When was this squash super-craze that spawned all of these squash courts? How did I miss that?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Late 1970s and early 1980s. Uh, a little before your time...
Old 08-15-2005, 04:54 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I remember it well, dudes wearing racketball goggles...very cool. Great idea, all the shouting and screaming in a court would sound like the gates of hell opening though.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:22 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
don't forget the constant 'SqueeksqueekSQUEEK. . .squeeksqueek' that always erupted from the courts as well.

My college converted one of their courts to a "Weight" room.

It had about 30 machines in it for circuit training. No floor denting problems there.

Right when I was asked to leave (. . .for gratuating you malicious sobs) they just added a 'free weight' room. Thinking back, it ended up being a place for people to put plates on other types of devices and do basically the same thing as the other room.

at least they had an area about 10' x 10' where you could do 'other' exercises and there weren't many (if any) mirrors.