CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:07 PM   #21
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I would love to hear that as well. I am trying to write a business plan to open a Crossfit here in Japan. I have a few Investors all ready to go but I need more of the hard facts for them. And getting facts here in Japan is almost non-existant.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:13 PM   #22
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Michael,

Having lived there, I understand.

completely. :-)
Old 09-29-2005, 04:49 AM   #23
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I like seeing this thread revived, everyone who responded is still around so the advise seemed to stick!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #24
Skip Chase

Profile:
I agree, if you build it they will come. Here are a few ideas to help and could be very inexpensive in your market.
1-join the Chamber of Commerce. Fees are normally $100-200.00. Attend the meetings and network with other members. During the first meeting you will normally be given a few minutes to address the attendees and explain your business and services. Take flyers with you. You may attend the meetings every month and distribute your marketing materials. Some CoC allow members to email each other with info promoting their business. As a member you also receive the membership directory, a valuable resourse.
2-Media alert- type an announcement giving the details of your business(who,what,where,when,why,etc.) and give to all the local media. Most newspapers have a 'business announcements' column within the business section. (even the smallest of communities) Be sure they receive your announcement. They will publish it FREE. Also, many communities publish a 'Business Pulse' type magazine. The mag is distributed to the businesses in your community. The magazine will have a business announcements section. Again, they will publish your announcement FREE!!!They also usually publish one issue a year related to health and fitness. Check their schedule and be sure to talk to the editor about featuring your facility. (they normally feature several)Again, FREE!!
4-Most newspapers have a 'recreation' column where they place class and event announcements.(yoga,hikes,dodge ball at the ymca,5k runs, etc) You can place an ongoing announcement that will run weekly or you can change it every week if you prefer. "CrossFit for the older athlete offered at ------ Tues and Thurs atn 6pm. First class is free" Again, this service is FREE!!!
5-Talk to the local HS and college coaches. They want the best conditioned athletes possible for their teams. Take testimonials with you.
6-Create flyers targeting specific markets...military, law enforcement, firefighters, soccer moms, high school athletes, etc. Go to the local police stations, fire depts and give them the info. It may take only an hour to visit the local locations and could be a great investment of time. Take a few hours and go from business to business distributing flyers. "Hi, I'm Skip I do not want to be rude and interupt your day, but I would like to drop off information for your employees about my new business on ------street. How many employees do you have?" They will either tell you the # of employees or tell you it is none of your business. In MOST cases, due to your courtesy, they will also extend you their courtesy.
7- Talk to the local business organizations. (Lions Club, Rotary, etc) They are always looking for guest speakers and give you an opportunity to share your information and testimonials.Take flyers and 'free class' certificates.
There is my .02 worth.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #25
Zach Even - Esh

Profile:
Kick in a referral system - where your curent members come in with friends.

Hold a open house where you get some BBQ rolling, sodas, waters, t shirt give aways, etc.

cross Fit is a lot about community, we're all very much like minded (not all, but many of us) so we love to hang out and train with the crew of CF.

This is much different than the regular gym / fitness ctr. because people create great friends and bonds w/one another. Invite current members and allow them to bring as many friends as they want to the BBQ.

Take memberships during the BBQ if you want but offer more value to it that day, such as a free shirt and water bottle or something cool like that.

People love shirts.

and have FUN :-)

w/passion and smart efforts good things will follow :-)

kick butt!

--zach--
Old 10-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #26
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Great advice guys. My buddy and I are trying to decide if and when to open a Crossfit facility in Tucson. Any more informaiton for a non-savvy business guy would be appreciated. Like a "building a Crossfit manual" sort of thing. I can't really entertain the idea until I am finished with school (next summer) but it is something my friend and I may want to start soon thereafter. I'm not much of a risk taker, but I think that this is what I love to do more than just about anything...train.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:46 AM   #27
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I have a lot of contacts in Tucson that might be interested in helping to start something or even investing. Let me know if I can give you a hand.