CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:56 AM   #11
Mike Minium

Profile:
Sweet! Congrats, Lincoln.

Keep us posted.

Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 AM   #12
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Gabe,
My shopping list is long and getting longer! My plan is to have roughly enough equipment on hand to have 3 people able to do any exercise simultaneously. Don't think I'll need that much to run the classes at first - anything more than 3 people in a class I can simply alternate exercises - but I think that will give me a critical mass visually so that the gym looks well equipped. Plus I'd like the equipment to match as much as possible, so best to get as much at one time as I can.

Shopping list:
C2 rowers (2-3)
Kettlebell sets (2-3 plus stock on hand)
Dumbells, rubber hex, 10#, 15#, 20#, 30#,etc to 70# (2-4 pair each)
15# barbells (3 plus stock)
30# barbells (2 plus stock)
15kg women's barbell (1)
20kg barbell (1 plus stock)
D-ball, 8#, 20# (2 each)
Dynamax med ball (2)
Squat racks (2 plus stock)
5kg Ivanko bumpers (2 pair plus stock)
10kg RB bumpers (1 pr plus stock)
Lifting platform (1 plus stock)
Chinup station, suitable for 4-6 trainees at a time.
Rubber flooring
Gymnastic flooring
Paralettes, PVC (4)
White Board 4'x8' (1)
Used refrigerator
Plyo boxes, 10" and 20", homemade (2 each)
Pulling blocks, homemade (1-2)
Jump ropes (3)
Wall clock, analog with sweep second hand
Glute-Ham bench (maybe now, maybe later)
Gymnast rings (1-2)
Barbell holder (1)

Plus other odds and ends. There's a wall with a small door dividing the space right now that I'm going to have to have opened up, so there's going to be some carpentry expense. Paint, flooring, misc. office supplies. I'm looking at mid-to-high four figures. As I gain clients I'll add more stuff as necessary, naturally.

I'll be the only trainer to start with, aiming to schdule 10 or so classes per week to start. I'll recruit other trainers (trying to convince Adrienne that she should and could run a class or two per week) and add classes to the schedule as time goes on. I've already talked to one trainer in town who is gym-less, I'm pretty sure there are others in the same boat. Most of them have lousy credentials, however, and I doubt they are Crossfit. May have to recruit from within.

One thing I'm going to try is to offer discounted Olympic lifting-only classes. $5 per session instead of the usual $15. Probably in the afternoon, aiming for the local schoool kids and gym members who want to brush up on their O-lifting technique. I'll try to make this my community service session, for those who say they can't afford full blown memberships.

Comments and suggestions welcome, of course.

Coach Lincoln!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:57 PM   #13
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Jeff,
Adrienne and I are looking to move into a different house sometime around Oct/Nov. On the list of things to look for in said same house is a guest room for visitors the likes of Garddawg and BlueBugOfJustice! We certainly hope you can visit sometime.
Linc
Old 07-22-2005, 08:20 AM   #14
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
Lincoln,
Sounds pretty good to me! One thought I have is that it is a nice community service gesture to offer OWL coaching for $5, but it is also a new business and you don't want people to think OWL coaching is only worth $5. As long as it is at a down time, then it might be a good idea for word of mouth exposure. At more prime times you can charge normal training rates. The $5 sessions can be something you don't advertise, but tell certain people about if you want to help them out. Then tell them you want them to refer other people to your facility in return for the discounted sessions. It's a tough thing because you love coaching it and you want to help out the sport, but it is also a business and in my experience you have to be careful about ultra discounted services. Best of luck and keep us updated on the progress.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:30 AM   #15
Tim Weaver

Profile:
One way to market this would be a "grand opening" special, or a special aimed at a target demographic, like HS kids.

The 'grand opening' special might be one month of OWL coaching for $5 per session, then it goes back up to...whatever.

The high school thing might be $10 per session, or $5.00 per session if they show proof of good grades (however you define that). An added incentive to keep the OWL interested kids doing well in school.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:32 PM   #16
Dustin Rodgers

Profile:
Lincoln:

I'm coming out to AZ the end of August for vacation, flying in to Phoenix and driving up through Sedona to the Grand Canyon. Any chance I could stop by briefly? Shoot me an email if you get a chance.

Thanks,

Dustin
Old 07-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #17
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Good advice Gabe.
Here's a "before" picture:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/4680/12147.jpg
This is the front half of the space. I'm going to knock out most of that back wall, so in a month this same shot will have almost twice as much space. Here's the view of the back half:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/4680/12148.jpg

Dustin, I'd love to have you stop by.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:36 PM   #18
Dan Silver

Profile:

Tight work.

The BORG expands...

-D.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:56 PM   #19
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
pics look great Lincoln. I'm curious to see the revised pics in a month :-)
Old 07-24-2005, 04:06 PM   #20
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Congrats on the space. Sedona is a beautiful place. If there's anything that we can do from Tempe to help you get going, don't hesitate to give a shout. The more CrossFit exposure in Arizona, the better for all of us!

Ken
ken@crossfitsouthwest.com