CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
Tom Fetter

Profile:
I'm 45 and kicking myself, hard. Shoulda done this forever ago.

Scroll back to February, and I'd found this place, while looking for off-season training for my rower daughter. Wasn't strong enough for WODs, so went through 3 months of Starting Strength.

Got off-track in mid-May, patchy in our schedule. But in late June, committed to doing WODs 'till Labour Day, and re-evaluate then.

Hmmm. In May, could do prolly 3 sets of 5 or 7 dips. Last night I did 100, and 50 pushups, and 50 pike-position HSPU, and the 400m runs ... in 35 minutes.

In May, could do no more than 10 pullups at a stretch, and never tried more than about 25 in a workout, however many the sets. This week, did the WOD with 120 pullups (40L, 40DH, 40kipping) and the 800m runs in about 34 minutes.

Meanwhile, the body composition's changed radically, strength, endurance jumped up. Was at the doc yesterday, and heart rate/bp are way low. He was amazed.

And my rower daughter? Who last year was embarassed to be pulling among the low-performers in the club, hence wanting off-season training?

She's earned seats in an 8 and a coxed 4 that are racing next week in the Canadian Henley Regatta - closest thing Canada has to a National Championship. She's consistently pulling with the better rowers in the club, and the head coach (who's also head coach of the New Brunswick team) is eyeing her for a spot in the 2009 Canada Games.

So far as I can tell, this is proof for magic.

Thanks Coach.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
AWESOME work, Tom!! Also great to see Linnea making great progress with her rowing - good luck at the regatta!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Thanks Anthony.

Hard to differentiate between strength/endurance gains, and the "sheer cussedness" factor. I'd never *tried* to do 120 PU before deciding to commit to CrossFit WODs in late June. Who knows whether I was capable ...

It will be at least as interesting to see, given the same determination, what performance changes will come next. They'll be more measurable.

Either way, though, the changes in strength etc. have been just astounding to me.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
Zach Wright

Profile:
Thats awesome progress! I agree with Tom. I think its part getting stronger physically, and a lot of getting stronger mentally. Once I stopped telling myself that I'd never do this or that, I started seeing results far more quickly.