CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #171
James R. Climer

Profile:
Re: July: 'thruster' challenge

Ok, I'm scratching my head on this wondering if it's carry over---

After the thrusters, I've been doing a back squat program this month
and after today's session I felt like I've been neglecting the upper body, so I decided to have a go at 30 muscleups for time:

11:33 !!!!!!!

A PR from 5/31/2009 of 24:58. Go figure, the traps getting loosened up by the heavy bar in the Back Squats? I'm totally at a loss to explain this one.

Ted I wanted to say Thanks in appreciation of your spearheading these monthly challenges.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #172
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

James,

Great job on your "Fran!" My second ever attempt as Rx'd got me 10:00 flat (yesterday). I want to try this again when I have more energy and better endurance. Props on the MU PR, and thanks for the power output comparison. Of course, given the comparison, I should really have dropped the weight and sought to lower my time.

Michael,

Welcome to the CF world! Great job regardless of how "new" you are to CF. Thrusters just suck, plain and simple, but they are probably one of the best full-body exercises one can do, period.

Ron,

Fear not, Ted does a great job of coming up with challenges and will probably set up one with great programming.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #173
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Climer View Post
Ok, I'm scratching my head on this wondering if it's carry over---

After the thrusters, I've been doing a back squat program this month
and after today's session I felt like I've been neglecting the upper body, so I decided to have a go at 30 muscleups for time:

11:33 !!!!!!!

A PR from 5/31/2009 of 24:58. Go figure, the traps getting loosened up by the heavy bar in the Back Squats? I'm totally at a loss to explain this one.

Ted I wanted to say Thanks in appreciation of your spearheading these monthly challenges.

congrats on the pr! you really killed it.

i am sure performing thrusters 3 times a week has a residual effect on your overall power. its such an explosive movement that its exactly the kind of stress the body needs to supercompensate for according to rip. i would think if you smashed your old pr by that much from a few months ago that your progress is probably more due to technique improvement then pure strength & power?

I want to thank all you guys for participating in these challenges. its always a better challenge when alot of people participate. last months 'burpup' challenge ended with only 2 of us. but thrusters seem to really draw the crowds. maybe its because 'fran' is the most popular wod?

i just posted the august challenge in the competitions forum. should be interesting.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #174
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Ted,

As always, thanks for "leading the challenge" again and for your enthusiasm which is obviously catching. Looking forward to navigating to the "competions forum" and seeing what you've cooked up.......

Have a great weekend!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 PM   #175
Todd Condell

Profile:

Finished the challenge tonight. Final set 21 reps at 135lbs broken (7,8,6). I was sore this week from the combination of this challenge and doing the burpee challenge at the same time plus doing a 5x5 program and WOD during this month. I have done a lot of heavy squats this month and my body was telling me to take a break but fought through it and finished this challenge. Thanks Ted I thought this was a good one.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #176
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Looked up the Phat Fran I did on March 12, 2004: as Rx on March 7, 2004 to see what my time was and realized it was

15-12 & 9 reps of:
135# Thrusters and
45# weighted pullups, by rounds=8:52/ 15:57/ & 21:17.6 Total

I'm thinking on the wiser side of attempting 21-15-9, I wish I'd looked this up Wednesday, I would've attempted it then, so I am going to try this Monday or so, after the competition is complete.
Did this yesterday after 10K and ME backsquat, but only with bw pull-ups. That $h1+ sucked! It hurt just fine.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #177
James R. Climer

Profile:

Quote:
Looked up the Phat Fran I did on March 12, 2004: as Rx on March 7, 2004 to see what my time was and realized it was

15-12 & 9 reps of:
135# Thrusters and
45# weighted pullups, by rounds=8:52/ 15:57/ & 21:17.6 Total

I'm thinking on the wiser side of attempting 21-15-9, I wish I'd looked this up Wednesday, I would've attempted it then, so I am going to try this Monday or so, after the competition is complete.
OK it took until tonight, (Friday), to 'man up' and get this one off the books so Fat Fran [sub 50# dumbbell]
in 14:54.9 a 6+ minute improvement in only 5 1/2 years!

The pullups were by far the hardest part of Fat Fran, I blame the July thrusterfun challenge for the relative ease of the thruster portion, great success. High Five.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #178
James R. Climer

Profile:

Mark Martinez sez:
Quote:
Did this yesterday after 10K and ME backsquat, but only with bw pull-ups. That $h1+ sucked! It hurt just fine.
...Animal.

Last edited by James R. Climer : 08-07-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added clarifier
Old 08-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #179
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
OK it took until tonight, (Friday), to 'man up' and get this one off the books so Fat Fran [sub 50# dumbbell]
in 14:54.9 a 6+ minute improvement in only 5 1/2 years!

The pullups were by far the hardest part of Fat Fran, I blame the July thrusterfun challenge for the relative ease of the thruster portion, great success. High Five.

nice job on 'fat fran'!

too bad you didn't participated in the june 'burpee to pull up' challenge. that would have helped grease the groove a bit for your pull ups.