CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Reading through the Gymnastics and Tumbling book, it occurred to me that that looked FUN. If you want to get masses of people in your gym (pun intended), then you are one up on the marketing if you can make it look fun. I think it would be a great idea to incorporate Go Animal type stuff, and also all the varied climbing stuff. Fat people probably aren't too adventurous, but most of them can probably remember having fun on a playground when they were young, so I thought a good marketing slogan would be "Playground for adults".

Just a thought.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
OK, I seriously have to tweak my Netscape.

Should have been titled "Marketing Idea".
Old 01-16-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Keep it up, and I'll start charging!:lol:
Old 01-16-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
That is a really good idea Barry. We are just in the process of putting together a new flyer and I think we are going to fit that in somewhere if you don't mind us being your test case.
Kurtis Bowler
Rainier CrossFit
Old 01-16-2005, 10:50 PM   #5
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
I think of CF North as romper room for grown-ups. (Not that we always act particularly grown-up.) Fun is a huge part of it.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Kurtis,

Go for it. It would make me happy if it helped.

I'm just getting pictures of fat people climbing over modest obstacles, or swinging from ropes while in some sort of sling, and somehow remembering what is was like when they were young and not fat, or at least not as fat.

There are really two things that ideally will happen: you need to provide exercise, but hopefully you can also reawaken a desire for exercise, and that can be done gradually through what would start out as not-so-hard exercises that make people smile.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Tony Young

Profile:
Barry, that's an inspired idea.

I've inadvertantly done something like that with two of my clients. Since the weather in Cincinnati has sucked so bad we haven't always been able to get out to do the 400m's called for in the beginners program. Instead we've mixed it up with indoor hoover ball and stepping on concrete blocks for the time they'd walk. The ball playing has been the big fave and sometimes they work harder at that than if they were walking. We use the small diameter vinyl 5# ball and toss it back and forth over a rope between my squat stands. The step blocks are set on either side of the "net" to keep the players back from it and the throws long.

Throwing is fun, they don't notice the time go by and it beats the heck out of freezing our cajones off out on the street.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #8
John Velandra

Profile:
Any flyers available to check out?? Would love tho see pictures...
Old 10-25-2005, 09:50 PM   #9
Brendan Sonnichsen

Profile:
I was taking care of my buddies kids the other day (6 & 8) and thought it would be awesome to take them down by the river and climb some trees. They didn't have *half* the fun I did. With my new ability to pull my body up I climbed to places I never could've gone as a kid. Incorporating those kind of adventures or activities every once in awhile will inspire your people to keep givin'er. That's my theory anyway.