CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Tricia Grunwaldt

Profile:
Determining "heats"

We are doing murph on Saturday and in order to accommodate pull up stations, I am going to divide the participants into heats- I was thinking 15 min apart? Up to suggestions though. Also, for something like this where it isn't a competition, is it more effective time wise to divide people according to their elite-ness, lol, or just mix it up? Thanks for the input.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Richard Joy

Profile:
Re: Determining "heats"

The only way that a 15 minute delay makes any sense to me is if you require everyone to do the pull-ups straight through, but the RX for Murph lets the athlete partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as they see fit. Forcing everyone to do all 100 pullups in a row to accomodate the limited pull-up bars will be painful for the athletes, but I guess you've got to do what you've got to do.

That said, if you're going to force 100 pullups in a row, I'd run the elite athletes first, because they'll be more likely to be done with the bars when the next group gets to them.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Miles Roberts

Profile:

We just did Murph, and we had to do it that way. Complete ALL pullups before moving on to pushups.

I agree with the above. Put elite first, with beginner/novice last. If you do it backward from that, you'll have everyone bunching up at the end.

The amount of time you delay each heat depends on how many heats you have. 15 would probably be fine though. I'm not good at pullups at all, am a beginner, and I don't think it took me anywhere near 15 minutes.

Last edited by Miles Roberts : 05-22-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Our gym has the heats 45 minutes apart. We have 4 rigs though, so I think we have 20 people going at a time.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Tricia Grunwaldt

Profile:

Thanks!