CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Mat Bryan

Profile:
Vegetarian Diet and CF

I would like to know the feasibility of keeping a Vegetarian Diet with the requirements of CF.
I have been a Vegetarian for almost 20 years... I have cut out almost all Soy, all Gluten and all Dairy. I live on beans and rice, egg whites PB and honey... LMAO

I have looked at the Paleo diet and I would have a hard time getting used to eating meat again.

Are there any CF lovers that are Vegetarian. I do count fish and chicken as meat... for those "Vegetarians" that eat those.

Not Vegetarian if you eat any meat.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Matt Holmer

Profile:
Re: Vegetarian Diet and CF

Melissa Urban discussed this on her Whole9 blog. Hopefully it will provide you some insight into being a vegetarian and a crossfitter.

http://whole9life.com/2010/02/vegetarian/ [wfs]
Old 03-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Jon Clingenpeel

Profile:

You might want to try some variety in your food choices, I don't eat meat either if you can't tell from picture. Try other nut butters - almonds, sunflower seed, macadamia. You can also try quinoa or buckwheat instead of rice (nutritionally they are much better then rice), I usually do this for when we have Indian or Chinese food. You can do well on a vegeterian diet, its not too hard.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Mat Bryan

Profile:

As I said... I have been a Veghead for nearly 20 years. I have also an extensive background on Vegetarian cooking. I do have Quinoa, I will not eat Buckwheat, or Kasha as it is none to me. As far as other nut butters... been there... may try it again.

BTW I wont eat wheat either, if I do it is strictly limited... forgot to list it. Ty for the link, I will check it out.

I tried tuna about 8 months ago... to try and increase the protein while decreasing the soy. I cant handle the smell, it just smells like dead fish.... LMAO
Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Bryan View Post
I cant handle the smell, it just smells like dead fish.... LMAO
Good quality fish should not have that dead fish smell. I had some fresh wild caught halibut last night for dinner. Absolutely no "fish smell" at all, and it was delicious.

There are some high quality brands of canned tuna. Whole Foods has one (sorry can't remember the name right now). It's like 6 bucks a can, but worth it, and tastes completely different from regular canned tuna. There are also a few brands of imported tuna form Italy that are really good.

By the way, not trying to tell you how to eat. I really don't care how another person eats. Just wanted to offer some advice since you had mentioned trying to add tuna.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

The assistant trainer at the box I used to go to was vegan. I don't really know the details on her eating habits but I've seen her destroy wods and then hit the C2 for what seemed like forever. She's also certified in CFE.

I can't really help you out with the how but, yes, it can be done. You just might have to pay more attention to your diet than people who can get a lot of their nutrition from meat and/or dairy sources. Good luck, sir.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Is there a reason you are comfortable eating the egg whites but not the yolks? Also, I second the motion that you should try really good, really FRESH seafood and see how it works for you. I started CF as vegan and gradually transitioned to a Paleo/Primal diet. I think it's possible to be decently successful without a huge meat consumption, but switching to eating grass fed, pastured, humanely treated meat has made everything progress faster, at least for me.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
Mat Bryan

Profile:

Meghan I have wondered that. I even talked to my GF about it today. We have a strict rule in the house... no meat. I have certain fitness goals... which I know will be impossible to reach without proper nutrition. Lately my issue has been too many carbs and not enough protein.
As I have always said to some other Personal Trainer I have known... If I had the money to pay for a Nutritionist or a Personal Trainer... hands down I would pay for the Nutritionist.

I do eat whole eggs... about once a week. I find egg whites easier to make... since I can buy them without the yolks.

Red meat is definitely NOT going to enter my body... I would rather die. Same with Pork. I have NEVER liked fish that much. I have been contemplating Turkey and Chicken. Where the dilemma starts for me... buying Chicken/Turkey that was NOT raised at a Factory farm and was treated humanely throughout it's life. I know I could go to a Muslim Butcher to get clean meat... if I had to.

I just need to weigh my options... VERY carefully.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #9
Todd Crawford

Profile:

What is the reason you would rather die than eat red meat? Not trying to stir the pot, just really interested.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:37 AM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Eat more whole eggs. Biggest issue you'll face is getting enough protein. Lots of information out there on how to do that on a vegetarian diet.