CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Kevin Burns

Profile:
So far i've been doing CF type stuff for about 4 weeks and my body has yet to get used to it. Do all CFitters experience the same thing. The horrible pain 1-2 days after ?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
'Horrible pain' is the nom de rigeur here. You'll get used to it, more resilient and eventually appreciate it. Keep it up!
Old 02-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Kevin: The DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is significantly worse from "negative" movements than positive.

We do a fair amount of such in the WODs . . . the descent into every squat, clean, or other Olympic lift involves a negative (eccentric) contraction as you lower the weight under control. It's pretty hard to avoid these.

If you're actively pursuing more pullups by doing negatives of these, well, you'll have the DOMS in the upper body, too. At least there you can choose to cut down on them for a while.

The only solace anyone can offer is that it will get better. You might consider reducing the weight a little (even a little will reduce the pain while preserving most of the training effect).
Old 02-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
Think of DOMS as a constant reminder that you are truely alive, an experience that most of the population never gets to experience. (That works for me.) Don't take any "medication" like Vitamin-I (Ibuprofin). Heat feels really good, like a Hot Tub...oh yea!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Thanks for the info.

Alot of it could be simple shock right now. I've never tried mixing thrusters w/ 25lb barbells and running 400m around a track before.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:54 AM   #6
Jason Erickson

Profile:
It may be a case of too much, too fast. Give yourself a bit of time for your body to adapt. If DOMS lasts more than a day, something is out of balance.

Also look at what you do before, after, and between workouts. Residual muscular tension is a common cause of DOMS. If you can release the excess tension or better yet keep it from setting in at all, you will have much less agony in your life.

For me, the RMAX "Intu-Flow" program is great for preventing the type of issue you are dealing with. The older "Warrior Wellness" program is awesome too. It's a rare day that I am tight or sore in the morning, and it doesn't take long to shed any problems.

Good luck!

Oh yeah- you can find a "Product" link for those programs on my web site. No sense suffering when there's a better alternative.