CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-09-2004, 05:18 AM   #1
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I notice that my times have gone down over the last 8 months, and while I'm obviously getting fitter, there's also some strategy and tactics involved, not to mention mental gamesmanship. So I thought a thread on how people approach the WOD would be useful to new starts (myself included).

One thing I've learned is to not wait for any recovery before moving on to the next exercise, no matter how wasted I feel. There's a window of about 5-6 or more reps on exercise 2 where you can recover from exercise 1 while you're doing them. For example, jumping right from KB swings to pushups. Even though I may have given it 110% on the KB swings and feel like I'm going to blow a gasket, I recover from the swings just as rapidly getting into the pushups immediately. There's a grace period as one set of muscles recover and the other aren't quite making demands on the rest of the body. Anyone else get this effect?
Old 09-09-2004, 05:50 AM   #2
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
Ummmm no! LOL Back in the day when I would do a calisthenic version of Crossfit I did notice this and had actually completely forgot about it. The group I would PT with never understood why I would just jump right in to the next exercise. I had noticed that the time spent gasping for air was better spent getting down and dirty with the next exercise. I never attributed it to recovery of the antagonistic muscle or anything like that....makes sense now. Thanks for the tidbit, I'll make sure to use it from now on.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Mike-

We push this every day. It is hard to convince people to jump in and try to get a few reps on the new exercise. It improves the times and I believe taxes the systemic recovery in a great way. Great observation.
Robb
Old 09-09-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Yeah, I sometimes try to fool myself (ha) by squeezing in a couple reps of the next exercise before the full effect of the previous one hits me and before the muscles from the next one are getting too taxed. Then I can rest after that mini-set, and the rest of the set feels shorter. Oh, the games I play with myself...
Old 09-10-2004, 06:23 AM   #5
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Speaking of mental games, when the rep count is high I count by two's. Somehow doing 25 double reps of KB swings is less daunting than doing 50 singles. Go figure.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:01 AM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
A dissenting voice from the cardio-challenged camp...I stand and pant! Attempting the next exercise while in serious cardio distress seems to me to be an invitation to injury, whether merely a face-plant from pushup failure to a back wrenching crippler attempting for example, heavy kb swings after sprint rowing.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:34 AM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I wait for the drowning feeling to reduce to just being out of breath before starting the next exercise, usually. I have noticed, though, like you say, that in some transitions you seem to get a second wind.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:25 AM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
IMO, it's dependent on what the next exercise is. There are some transitions that seem to require (from me at least) a moment to catch my breath...but there are others (typically in/out of a run) that I can move right through.

I also have a habit of setting how long I'm willing to reset BEFORE I start the workout. I'll decide I can take 15 or 20 seconds, but that's all. If I recover more quickly it's all good...but if I'm dragging I've limited myself to how long I'll stand around, and I've got a solid number to try to improve on (less rest).
Old 09-10-2004, 10:28 AM   #9
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
If I am resting, I usually try to lay down. I think I read somewhere on here that your body recovers faster when prone. It seems to work better then just sitting down or walking around.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:10 PM   #10
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
In the first WoD I tried a few days ago (the one with 3 rounds and exercises of 21 reps) I noticed that splitting up the sets was absolutely fatal. While jumping on the box I could manage, but once I paused...I really had to pause for quite a while.