CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Brett Schneider

Profile:
Some help with my Remote workouts

Hey guys...thanks in advance for your assistance. I am 47 have been doing crossfit for about 2 years.

I recently took a job on a jack-up oil platform off the coast of Africa. Its old and doesn't have your typical perks (like a gym). I work 28 days on about 4 days of travel and then 24 off back home in Louisiana.

My problem: I have a few weights (maybe three sets of dumbbells 25, 35,45) I have a place I can do pull ups (crossbeam...lol) My jump rope and my bands go everywhere with me....and of course we have lots of stairs!!

My question: I suck at self programing and need some assistance with building a grouping of WODs that would help me continue to improve while at work. I want to be able to jump back in with my regular WODs when I'm home..

Ideas??????
Old 09-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Philipp Lendner

Profile:
Re: Some help with my Remote workouts

1. Look through the mainsite wod archive. There should be enough workouts you can do for a few months.
  2. Get yourself a pair of gymnastics rings. That would add L-Sits, ring rows, ring pushups and ring dips to the possible movements. They are cheap, small and powerful.
  3. If you want to do strength training, try Bill Star's way of training pull-ups: four sets of max reps of a given movement, plenty of rest between sets and try to do at least one more rep in total than the last time you did it. Use this for push-ups, HSPU, Ring rows, whatever.
  4. Search Google for "travel wods".

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:42 AM   #3
Ezra Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Schneider View Post
Hey guys...thanks in advance for your assistance. I am 47 have been doing crossfit for about 2 years.

I recently took a job on a jack-up oil platform off the coast of Africa. Its old and doesn't have your typical perks (like a gym). I work 28 days on about 4 days of travel and then 24 off back home in Louisiana.

Ideas??????
First, what a cool job.

second, you have enough equipment to do almost anything except 1 rep maxes. for example, with dumbbells you can do: thrusters, hang cleans, 1 arm snatch, press, jerk, push press, front squat, overhead squat (legit with dumbbells), burpees, kettle bell swings, HSPU, stair runs, stair walks holding weight...might as well throw in some curls for the girls, weighted lunges, ect, ect.

I didn't even mention the pull ups.

Sounds like a great opportunity to dial in the fitness. I remember when I was on a remote job site I literally had nothing to do but work, eat, sleep and workout. Food was taken care of, there was no commute, laundry was minimal....no dinner with friends, no taking the car to get serviced...very simple lifestyle.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Brett Schneider

Profile:

Thanks the post are very helpful hit some areas I hadn't thought of......My plan is to use that time as wisely as possible ....I could site on my *** and veg or try to focus the solitude for results.

Thanks again

Brett ( from Pointe Noire, Congo)
Old 09-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Look up the Javorek DB complexes.

You can sub a lot of the barbell wod's with 45# DB. Sometimes it will be light, and sometimes it will be pretty similar (Fran, Grace, Isabel).