CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #41
Matt Payne

Profile:
Re: UFC 111 predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
People like to point out the Lutter fight as evidence of Silva having trouble with ground fighters but they always conveniently leave out the part where he had just had double knee surgery and basically had no legs. Hell even Lutter said he felt no squeeze from the triangle and tapped to the elbows.
If Silva had both his legs 100% in that fight it would've been a completely different story.
Nah, he had no problem throwing kicks etc..in that fight. Also Dan Henderson had some success when he could control him on the ground and GSP's ground game is far better in my opinion.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #42
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Adams View Post
Silva fought BJ Penn and won via decision SEVERAL years back. Silva of course had a significant size advantage. Also, Penn's ground game is better than Lutters and GSP's combined. Of course, that really doesn't matter because Silva is much, much better than he was then.

GSP is well rounded!? When was the last time he stood and banged with anyone? His chin is obviously questionable. His boxing is lackluster. He's a phenomenal wrestler. Frankly, he's starting to remind me of Ricardo Arona when he was laying and praying during the Pride days. (then the Shogun of old, trashed him in exciting fashion). His fights are getting boring and he can't finish. Don't get me wrong, if I was Hardy, you would have thought I was trying to answer a question on Jeopardy as soon as GSP set the armbar, or the kimura for that matter.

I'm not sure where you get your facts in regards to Silva's walking weight, but I'd bet the house that you're wrong. I've ready numerous times that Fedor and Anderson match up great in terms of weight. Silva gets a slight height and reach advantage.
The info about Anderson's walking weight is from Ed Soares his manager. Fedor is awesome and for sure could cut to 205. He is a beast. When did Anderson Silva ever fight BJ Penn?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #43
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Exactly Jason, and the only reason why Luter got Silva to the ground is because Silva JUMPED AT HIM WITH A FLYING KNEE that BARELY missed Lutter's skull. Anderson is simply not afraid of being takendown at all. He did lose a couple of fights by submisions back in the days but currently he is at a whole other level grappling-wise (AND striking-wise!).

GSP vs Silva would decrease the GSP nut-huggering and put a stop to his hype. GSP "dominated" Hardy, but after the fight GSP's face was the one scratched up; Hardy's face didn't have a SINGLE scratch! This fight already exposed GSP badly.
So whoever has the most scratches on their face says what? BJ Penn is regarded as an excellent striker and incredible BJJ....GSP destroyed him. Sure there are areas for him to improve... exposed by Hardy? Now that's a leap...I would like to see GSP finish fights personally but I also would like to see Anderson go a few more rounds with a young and powerful fighter like GSP.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:11 PM   #44
Chance Adams

Profile:

I saw the video a few years ago. It may not have been a sanctioned bout. Maybe just an exhibition. Maybe sparring. Not real sure. It was on youtube at one time. At work now so I can't look it up. Regardless, my point was Penn's bjj is head and shoulder above Lutter and GSP. GSP is of course, the better wrestler...and vs. Penn, had a significant size advantage not unlike the one Silva would have over Georges

Last edited by Chance Adams; 03-31-2010 at 12:13 PM..
Old 03-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #45
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Nah, he had no problem throwing kicks etc..in that fight. Also Dan Henderson had some success when he could control him on the ground and GSP's ground game is far better in my opinion.
How effective were those kicks? Not very. He just had knee surgery, that's a fact. Sorry nobody is back up to full strength that quickly. You probably could've taken him down. His legs were basically stilts to hold him up.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #46
Matt Payne

Profile:

Well he moved them pretty well then for stilts...At any rate , IF Silva has an area of vulnerability in the slightest I believe it is on the ground. Lutter has amazing BJJ, missed the weight cut for that fight and as usual his conditioning sucked. Dan Henderson also handled him well in the early part of the fight on the ground. I stand by my claim that a really good ground fighter/wrestler(Like a GSP) has the best chance of beating Anderson.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #47
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Well he moved them pretty well then for stilts...At any rate , IF Silva has an area of vulnerability in the slightest I believe it is on the ground. Lutter has amazing BJJ, missed the weight cut for that fight and as usual his conditioning sucked. Dan Henderson also handled him well in the early part of the fight on the ground. I stand by my claim that a really good ground fighter/wrestler(Like a GSP) has the best chance of beating Anderson.
Dan Henderson is also much larger than GSP.

A good ground fighter may have a good shot, but not a guy GSP's size. He wouldn't be able to control Silva on the ground at all.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #48
Matt Payne

Profile:

Well he would at 185...that is what most are suggesting is that GSP go to 185. Then he will for sure be as big as Hendo..but faster .
Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #49
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Dan Henderson is also much larger than GSP.

A good ground fighter may have a good shot, but not a guy GSP's size. He wouldn't be able to control Silva on the ground at all.
Also, GSP trains with guys much bigger than him all the time. From what they say he takes them down...at will. I am talking Rashad Evans etc... They come up to train in Montreal with GSP. He also Wrestles with the Canadian Oly team ..with much bigger guys.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:10 AM   #50
Chance Adams

Profile:

Quote:
Also, GSP trains with guys much bigger than him all the time. From what they say he takes them down...at will. I am talking Rashad Evans etc... They come up to train in Montreal with GSP. He also Wrestles with the Canadian Oly team ..with much bigger guys.
That being said, a new question arises. Can GSP handle the power/speed/accuracy of Silva's stand-up, get inside, and score a takedown?

One thing is for certain, he won't be able to shoot from the outside like he did against Hardy. GSP is fast, but not that fast and he won't be able to setup the takedown while utilizing his reach and keeping a jab in Silva'a face.

Can he phsyically take Silva down? Probably so.

Can he stay awake long enough in a fight to score a takedown? It's up in the air.