CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Stephen Ches

Profile:
Trying to change

Hello crossfitters. I am about a month into the WOD's. I am a 48 YO Male, 6'1", 205 lbs. I have lifted weights most of my life and am labeled a hard gainer. I have tried endless routines out of the Mags with little results. I have also spent endless hours on the stationary bike and have gained weight over the years. So....I am very excited about the crossfit mentallity.
The workouts change daily. I have to scale most of the WOD's down so I can complete them. My goal is to get to a point where I don't have to scale them down. I wonder how long that will take?? I also don't have access to a rope, so that's a challange. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Kevin Thomas

Profile:
Re: Trying to change

To answer your questions:
1. You should be able to do most of the WODs RX within a year, depending on your starting fitness levels. Some movements will require extra work outside the WODs for most people to be able to ever be able to do competently at an RX level. Muscle-up, snatches, heavy bench and HSPU come to mind.

2. Towell pullups are the offical sub for rope climbs. Do one pullup for every foot climb.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Stephen Ches

Profile:

Thanks Kevin. That's a goal to shoot for. I am terrible on pullups. I'm currently using a gravitron machine to get me through the WOD's. Are you saying that I should do more pullups during the week to advance my fitness level?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ches View Post
Thanks Kevin. That's a goal to shoot for. I am terrible on pullups. I'm currently using a gravitron machine to get me through the WOD's. Are you saying that I should do more pullups during the week to advance my fitness level?
I think that he was just suggesting the substitute for a rope, since you mentioned not having one.

If one of your goals is to specifically do more pull-ups, you can certainly do programs to advance that... but you'll get plenty stronger just doing the WODs
Old 08-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ches View Post
There are lots of good threads on how people go about getting better at pullups. Grease the Groove is a popular method that would involve you doing small amounts of pullup variants throughout the week. Just doing them in your warmup is enough for some people to get their first pullup. Weightloss also helps a lot. If you cannot do a single pullup, bands are generally considered to be superior to the gravitron machine.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
Stephen Ches

Profile:

Thanks Kevin. I've heard of Pavel's training methods before but just dismissed them as rubbish. I'm going to open my mind and give Grease the Groove a shot. Wish me luck.