CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Marty Bialas

Profile:
Question Back to Back workouts?

I noticed that todays WOD, "Barbara", consists of more back and chest work... ie 5 sets of Pull ups and 5 sets of push ups among other things. I did the 120-120 yesterday and my lats and chest are very sore. Is it normal for the WOD's to hit the same body parts on consecutive days?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Back to Back workouts?

Yes.

If you need to scale then scale down. Theoretically, you should get to the point where you're not sore in a month or two if you do it right. And no soreness = good for high frequency 3/1 schedule.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Pat McElhone

Profile:

I think it is rare to ever see strength workouts back to back (i.e Back Squat followed by Clean), but gymnastic workouts are very common. After following the WODs for about 9 months I have found that I recover very well from body weight movements.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
James Besenyei

Profile:

Scale WOD's liberally. CF is fantastic, but overuse injuries can occur if you need to scale back and you don't (I know, I made that mistake!). Welcome.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
Jay Roughton

Profile:

You really won't have this problem once you have gotten to the point of doing the MU's as rx'd. Just more motivation to keep working the skills and progression of the MU. The only thing that is sore on me from doing the 30 MU's for time is my joints, and my arm bones ache. FWIW?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Roughton View Post
You really won't have this problem once you have gotten to the point of doing the MU's as rx'd. Just more motivation to keep working the skills and progression of the MU. The only thing that is sore on me from doing the 30 MU's for time is my joints, and my arm bones ache. FWIW?
Joints aching is not really a good sign. This is usually due to overuse which if aggravated may lead to other more serious problems that can put you out of working out for a while. Sore muscles, fine. Pain and achy joints, not good.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Jay Roughton

Profile:

interesting. I usually have sore elbow joints, and all 3 arm bones usually ache for about a day, after I do lengthy MU practice. No other crossfit workouts have produced this. What do you think?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

MUs are rough on the elbows. Be careful.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
Zach Forrest

Profile:

MU's on the rings torque the bones, joints, and ligaments more severely than regular dips and pushups due to the rotation and false grip. Take it easy if you feel your elbows swelling and localized heat/redness after a muscle-up workout...that's a sure sign over overuse.