CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Jason Arsenault

Profile:
I was at the playground with my 18 month old son the other day and decided to do pullups on the monkey bars. My son saw and wanted to as well so I picked him up and he grabbed the bar. He held himself there for about 90sec or so. Is this going to hurt him in anyway? He wieghs about 27lbs.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I'm not a doctor but that is an evolutionary trait that is basic to humans (kids having been hanging on to moms for tens of thousands of years). I can't possibly see how that could hurt him.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
ALl I see is a potential CFer in early stages. Make it agame and he will be along your side everytime! Check out crossfitkids too
Old 03-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
He did it on his own. You didn't make him. You didn't help him. If it hurt him he wouldn't have held on. :-)
Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
James Falkner

Profile:
No it can't hurt him.

What hurts kids is parents who yank their kids up using their arms, with no warning, or with excessive force.

If you tell your child you're about to lift them, they will steel themselves (and their shoulders and elbows) against it, and will properly pull themselves up holding their full bodyweight. Same as if you lift them to a bar and tell them to hold on and gently let them take their full weight. It's great exercise and really builds their strength.

Don't be scared to let your child hold their full bodyweight, it's good for them and very fun and exciting for them.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Jason Arsenault

Profile:
Thats good, he loved it but after I did it I was kind of worried about his little joints. That info eases my mind. I hope he wants to keep it up so I can have a little crossfit sidekick in a few years!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
James Goodell

Profile:
My 2 year old has been doing this for awhile too. She'll climb the steps to the platform at one end of the monkey bars and grab the first bar and just hang there. When her grip starts to tire, she'll arch her back and reach back with her feet until she can put herself back on the platform. I think it's great and I just encourage her and spot her for safety. The kids will let go if they need to.

By the way, kids that age are great for GTG on weighted pullups on the monkey bars when you're at the playground with them.