CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Mark Anthony

Profile:
Its all about speed. Hot, nasty speed.

I couldn't think of a catchy title so I ripped off a line from Talladega Nights... but in a way I guess its right - it IS about speed!

I've been doing a heavy circuit class for the past 2 years that has helped shave me down from around 215lbs (on a 5'3" frame) to floating between 165-170lbs and dropping about 10" off my belly. Yay me. I've played around with some crossfit workouts from time to time but now want to incorporate them a lot more - I especially think the short, intense workouts compliment the 30+ minute class I do. I'm also here to learn more about incorporating zone into the paleo diet I've been following (80/20) for the past couple of years, or if not zone then whatever's going to take the last 5-10lbs off me and help my performance.

Anyway...

Yesterday I had a play with the "300" workout. I know its not a cross fit workout, but a friend of mine threw down the challenge and I thought it might be one of the workouts I could use to measure my progress.

14/6/12
"300"
25 x pull-ups
50 x 60kg deadlifts
50 x push-ups
50 x floorwipers (60kg bar)
50 x 24" box jumps
50 x 1-arm 16kg kettle bell clean and press (all 25 reps on one side then the other)
25 x pull-ups

time: 16:03
(HR maxed out at 191, average 178)
-I used rings for pull-ups because I like them

15/6/12
"Diane"
100kg Deadlift, HSPU's
21-15-9

time: 5:25
(HR maxed out at 187, average 172)
This very nearly killed me. First round of deadlifts and HSPU's were unbroken but it went south from there!

Then tonight I did a circuit class featuring a lot of push-ups, HSPU's (not that many cos I was fried), light power cleans, burpees and box-jumps. Not nearly as much fun as it sounds after this afternoons fun and games.

Will sleep like a drunk baby tonight.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Mark Anthony

Profile:
Re: Its all about speed. Hot, nasty speed.

felt absolutely broken yesterday after the previous days shenanigans. Loosened a lot today but decided to hold off another day training to make sure i can train hard tomorrow. I've roped in a friend to do a bit of a challenge against each other on workouts 2 or 3 times a week to add a bit of competition, so that will help keep me honest.

Took the "day off" diet-wise today and as usual, now regretting it. First few bites are good but the stomach bloating, lethargy etc are rapidly becoming not worth it!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Mark Anthony

Profile:

Still not quite feeling 100% from the Diane and circuit class combo so decided against a WOD and went with some strength and ab work.

Bench press supersetted with Dips
2 x 120kg x 3 + BW x 12
3 x 115kg x 3 + BW X 12
2 x 110kg x 3 + BW x 12

GHD routine - (5 x GHD sit-ups + 5 second static hold) x 3 reps for 2 sets

1-arm Kbell decline sit-ups 2 x 5 (each side) with 16kg kbell

Looking to be raring to go tomorrow
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
Paul Dudley

Profile:

Excellent job on the weightloss mate, that's some going right there!

I've also just joined, I also stole a title for my journal...
Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Mark Anthony

Profile:

thanks Paul

On Thursday I did Cindy as RX'd
5 pull-ups
10 push-ups
15 squats (used wall ball to huge depth)
AMRAP 20 mins
Rounds - 25 and 3 pull-ups
HR - peaked at 201BPM, averaged 183BPM

-I was pleased with the score but i could have done more - I felt my legs tie up a bit after just 2 rounds so didn't push harder but they never got any worse, i could definitely have gone faster with them. Ah well, was my first attempt!

Day off yesterday then did a made-up one today

Pull-ups
HSPU's
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
for time
Time - 6:59
HR - peaked at 180, averaged 167

My pull-ups were all fine, but from '7' round onwards my HSPU's were broken and from about '4' i was doing singles. Massive shoulder ache afterwards!

Legs still pretty wrecked from Cindy, if recovered I'll do a WOD of some sort, if not I'll just do some chest strength work.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Mark Anthony

Profile:

Yesterday I decided to lay off again - only just getting back into training this intense and building volume slowly!

Today I felt better so decided to do a 30-ish minute circuit class.

34:54 seconds, Average HR 172bpm, Peak HR 191bpm

Felt pretty good - a stint of around 8 minutes of core work which I noted heart rate quickly dropped back to around 150.

I've decided to do 4 week cycles where in addition to met-cons I focus on a lift and an oly lift. From tomorrow then, Deadlift and C+J. I'll try to keep met-cons to around 12 mins and below to keep intensity high, but will throw in the odd longer one, but no more than 1 a week.

Not sure on tomorrows WOD but will do 5x5 deadlift, some core work and todays missed bench 5x5
Old 06-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Mark Anthony

Profile:

Slight twinge in my right adductor today - nothing major and certainly nothing to get excited about but feeling it now at the end of today.

This morning was Deadlift
5-5-5-5-5
all sets at 130kg (285lbs), all good reps, will up to 135kg for the 5-5-5-5-5 later this week. I supersetted this with 10 slow ab rollouts.

This afternoon was Bench
5-5-5-5-5
all sets at 110kg (242lbs), all reps full and good but this was close to my 5x5 max I think.

Got to cram a workout in my only free hour tomorrow morning before I go away until wednesday afternoon.

Diet has been fairly solid all week - i wouldn't call it seriously low carb, but mainly paleo. Certainly starting to lean out the last week or so.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Mark Anthony

Profile:

Yesterday morning i did a mini-workout....

10 x pull-ups
10 x dips
5 rounds for time
4:10

And today was...

Dips 5-5-5-5-5 @ +35kg

And later I did a workout with a mate - 130kg tyre-flip-and-sprawl x 10 wearing 20kg weighted vest. 1 minute rest, 5 rounds.

The vest made the sprawls interesting but the hardest bit was the vest made catching breath between rounds hard!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Mark Anthony

Profile:

Had 3 spells between clients today where I had a play...

Muscle-ups - 1 every minute on the minute for 20 minutes
-no misses, second 10 reps better than first. Not done a muscle-up in 2 months so was pleased I could still do it!

Deadlifts - 5-5-5-5-5 @ 135kg supersetted with 10 x slow ab roll-outs
-no misses, ready for 3-3-3-3-3 next week.

Bench Press - 5-5-5-5-5 @ 112.5kg supersetted with 10 x slow ab roll-oputs
-no misses, actually felt more comfortable than the 5x5 110kg the other day and I thought that was pretty much my max so must have been a good day.

Back a little tight this evening, will foam roll and grab a massage tomorrow if needed.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Mark Anthony

Profile:

Yesterday was going to be a relatively low-intensity, low volume play with OHS but turned into a sweat-fest! I was expecting some sort of DOM's from 5x5 bench yesterday as it was pretty heavy for me, and definitely something from the deadlift but other than slightly tight hamstrings nothing to write home about. I'm recovering well at the moment because my job means I can divide the work over 2 or 3 sessions a day and make sure my recovery is good.

A mate of mine who I train with a couple of times a week has gotten into the habit of making up WOD's for me - and this time he pinched a full firefighter's uniform and gear from work for me to do it in!

"Clarkeys Lad"
50 step-ups onto a tyre
50m run
25 x sledgehammer swings onto tyre + 25 x sledgehammer "bust a door in" slams onto tyre*
50m run
sled drag 80kg 50m
50m run
fireman's carry Clarkey 50m (he's about 75-80kg)
50m run
50 x 60kg deadlift
50m run
50 x burpees
-in firefighter kit for time
time: 13:31
* - best way i can describe it is wide legs, bent very low and driving the sledgehammer into the sidewall of the tyre. Killed my thighs.

Easily the most uncomfortable 13 and a half minutes I've had in a long time! My legs are a weak point - I had no faith in them for Cindy which cost me a couple of rounds, but they tie up fairly quickly and this was all about legs!

This was all done unbroken and with no rests other than the odd deep breath every 5-10 burpees but I had very little snap in my legs after the first couple of exercises!

I wish I'd had my HR monitor on for this one because it was racing!

Writing this at 3.30am as my future housemate just rang me on a night out to try and confirm if the guy chatting her up a the bar really does play pro soccer for my home town team (he doesn't!)... surprisingly, feeling pretty good and trying to decide what to do for training tomorrow... I would still like to hit the OHS!