CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
Mcl Mwod

Is there a MCL mobility wod out there on KStarr's website? I couldn't find any searching medial knee or MCL, but that might not be the lingo KStarr may use in his tags.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Mcl Mwod

What are you trying to find? What are you trying to accomplish? Working to improve mobility of a ligament is not something you should be trying to accomplish.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
What are you trying to find? What are you trying to accomplish? Working to improve mobility of a ligament is not something you should be trying to accomplish.
I'm looking for a mobility wod that will mobilize the MUSCLES around the medial part of my knees that might help with pain I'm having in my MCL. Yes I'm resting, yes I'm icing.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Medial knee pain can also come from hip, ankle and knee dysfunction too.

Poor ankle dorsiflexion, fallen arch, underactive glutes, etc, can all also give symptoms of medial knee pain. The knee is usually the victim of problems elsewhere.

If you choose to start with the MWOD, if you don't notice any improvement in a week or so; look elsewhere.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

I have no arch. I'm flat footed like a duck. Been doing a few MWODs a week for almost 5 months now. Just started getting medial knee irritation within the last two weeks. Haven't been running, haven't been squatting excessively, not sure what has irritated it.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Read this (the whole thing preferably).... start doing a lot of the mobility/strengthening on page 4

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Read this (the whole thing preferably).... start doing a lot of the mobility/strengthening on page 4

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
Steven, thanks for the link. Reading through the whole thing now. I sit at work ALL day, so I hope this will help me out.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
I have no arch. I'm flat footed like a duck. Been doing a few MWODs a week for almost 5 months now. Just started getting medial knee irritation within the last two weeks. Haven't been running, haven't been squatting excessively, not sure what has irritated it.
Yeah, that can definitely contribute significantly to medial knee pain. If you're that worried about it, go visit a PT. Honestly, it could be an ankle or hip strength issue (specifically posterior tibialis, gluteus medius, external hip rotators), ankle mobility issue (lack of dorsiflexion), foot deformity (rearfoot, forefoot varus/vagus, midfoot instability), etc. If it's that big of a deal, getting a professional to assess and address it early on might be your best bet to prevent injury later on.