CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-21-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
dave hill

Profile:  
I am going to take up some swim training. Does anyone have any good websites or swim circuits that would be beneficial. I have decent technique and am looking for a low impact alternative to ground pounding.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

From the "Friends of CrossFit" on the main page:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

but this is more about improving technique than providing workouts (so may not be what you need).

Otherwise, paging Matt G!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
Sebastian Montgomery

Profile:

This is a great book full of progressive workouts. Takes the thinking out of planning them:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0809254549/qid=1122001293/sr=8-1/r ef=pd_bbs_sbs_1/002-3436645-2036057?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Old 07-21-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
Eric Moffit

Profile:
type 'swim' into the search function...all your wildest dreams will come true.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
Joe Luckett

Profile:

Sebastian,
You use that book, too? I've been using it for like 15 years. Great book.

Dave Hill,
Like Rico, I mean Eric said. There was a pretty good litle discussion going a few months ago.

-jw
Old 07-22-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
Kalen Meine

Profile:
I second the total immersion plug- it "fishified" this landlubber quite nicely. Actually made it fun. And once you can actually swim properly, I wouldn't sweat inventing workouts too much- just treat it as somewhere between running/rowing and calisthenics and make up/plug in to WODs.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Below is a post from some time ago when someone else posted a question about swimming. I have strayed away a bit from my heavy swim schedule and am down to just 3000 yards twice a week. The format however remains pretty much the same:

500 (yards) to 1000 pull with buoy
500 crossovers (kick with fins underwater the length of the pool, come up for a few breaths and then go back)
500 drill
500 to 1000 main set
Cool down distance whatever is necessary to make 3000 yards.

The main set is different every time and is generally sets of swims of 200 yards or less done with minimal rest. The sets are done "on" a certain time so that 6 x 100 on 2 minutes means that you swim 100 yards "sending" every 2 minutes. Get done in 1:30 and you have 30 seconds rest. Get done in 1:55 and you will not likely make the next send. Adjust the time so that you can make the next send off but keep the rests to below 30 seconds. Going shorter to longer is easier than the other way round. For example, swimming 2 x 25 each on 30 seconds, 50 on 1 minute, 100 on 2 minutes and 150 on 3 minutes is harder than starting with 150 and going the other way. You will be able to do more sets down than up. 150's are really tough. Don't swim long slow sets. Get some Zoomers for the drill sets. Follow the tenants of Total Immersion. Swimming 3x weekly for 2000 yards each time is better than swimming 6000 yards once a week. PRACTICE swimming, develop your stroke don't just foam the water.

Here's the old post.

Swimming can be difficult to squeeze into your program but the training benefits are worth the effort. Unlike running there is no impact to jar your joints into submission so you can swim all you want. Though primarly an upper body event, specifically back, shoulders and arms, you will feel a systemic sense of fatigue after a good hard swim workout that is draining but somehow completely satisfying. Expect to be very hungry after a good hard swim.

Were someone to tell a weightroom neophyte, "Go lift weights," it is not likely said neophyte would get much of a workout not to mention the fair likelihood of injury. Assuming you can in fact swim the chances injury are quite small. Do it enough or stroke improperly and shoulder injuries are possible, but not likely by any means.

Be efficient. Check out Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion swim program which preaches fish-like swimming. Lots of great drills to improve your position in the water and thus your efficiency.

What to do in the water. For years swimmers have trained with the kind of intensity that would make Uncle Pukie himself gag on his breakfast. I swim 3 to 4 days a week at 0500 when the YMCA pool opens up. I swim 3,000 to 5,000 yards each workout in 1:10 for the 3,000 and just under 2 hours for the 5,000, with the following general format: 500 to 2000 yard pull with a buoy, 10 to 20 under/overs (swim the length under water with fins and swim on the surface for the return) on the minute, 500 to 1,000 drill, 500 to 1,000 main set, cool down with buoy swim for a distance that brings the yardage to 3,000, 4,000 or 5,000.

My drill set consists 100 yards swimming on side with hands at sides, 100 yards with down side arm extended, 100 yards pull/kick so that you take only 4-5 strokes per length concentrating on balance on the side, catch-up and fist drill or some of many other skill drills.

Todays main set was 6 x 25 on 30 sec, 5 x 50 on the minute and 4 x 100 on 2 minutes. The workout before was 25 on 30 sec, 50 on the minute, 75 on 1:30, 100 on 2 minutes, 75 on 1:30, 50 on the minute, 25 on 30 seconds. Rest 30 seconds and wait for the second hand to go to the top of the clock and repeat. The workout before that we did 8 x 100 on 2 minutes. You would of course adjust your time based on your own swim skill but it must not be the slightest bit leisurely. Swimming is a total hammerfest so it fits in very nicely with the Crossfit way.

Speaking of the Crossfit way I can report a rather substantial improvement in my swim workouts now that I have been doing Crossfit for awhile because I have received the high intensity pain innoculation from my dryland Crossfit training and that disregard for and in fact desire for discomfort has kept me swimming hard when previously I would back off a bit for no better reason than it hurt. Now I seek, find and relish the onset of that condition where one part of me says, "Stop you friggen idiot you're going to kill yourself" and the other part says "Shutup you sprout eating, mall walking fruit pie...go hard or go home."

One side says "No, no." The other side says Go, Gooooo." I just tell them both to shut up.

Great. Now there are three of us.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
Zach Nikka

Profile:

eric you are wayy too attached to that movie....hehehe
Old 07-24-2005, 11:03 PM   #9
Eric Moffit

Profile:
sorry...its just so appropriate all the time.

i could go into dumb and dumber mode...or zoolander...or happy gilmore...or wedding singer...or orange county...(working on starsky and hutch), 'but...

i still love technology...always and forever...always and forever'

see...how appropriate was that quote...huh?...HUH?!?