CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-29-2004, 02:34 PM   #1
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
My friend, who works out a little and recently quit smoking and doesn't eat all that cleanly swears by the vitamins at this place:

http://www.usana.com/products/index.shtml

Since I'm the resident health info guy, he asked me what I thought the products. There didn't seem to be anything glaringly incorrect except maybe the soy shakes which are dubious.

He swears by these products and says he actually ~feels~ a difference (since his diet is crummy I have the suspicion the vitamin just covers up a deficiency). He says many people are the same way. I immediately pointed out the placebo effect but he stuck by his claim.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
It looks fine as far as supplements go. I scrolled through their health questionare and clicked nothing yet they still had a list of 10 things for me!

Your friend may indeed feel better from this but it is likely more a statement fo how very un-healthy he is, not how great this stuff is.
Just my $0.02
Old 09-29-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
Coach Ian King swears by them. I spoke to a couple of people who have used them and they also swear by them. A physical therapist I was stationed with would stress how supermarket brands can be seen on x-rays proving that they don't breakdown worth a shooot. He also sweared by USANA....
Not concrete proof just what I've heard from 5 people.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:12 PM   #4
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Supermarket brands (like Men's One-A-Day) break down very well in the digestive system. In fact, some of the brands (labeled as such) pass USP tests designed to measure just that. The old story about seeing pills in x-rays is a common one used by salesman, and it's just not true. The USANA products looks fine, but man they sure cost a lot compared to your Costco Multi, or a good ole iron free Men's One-A-Day.

Brad
Old 09-30-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
Steve Shafley

Profile:
USANA seems to use a kind of a Mary Kay sort of way to sell vitamins. I have heard from a few people that they are indeed excellent, but I don't have first hand experience.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:36 AM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
USANA = multi level marketing?
Old 10-02-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
Albert Clayton

Profile:
Paul,

I think that you should commend your friend for taking a small step towards fitness. He probably feels better because he quit smoking. The Usana vitamins probably will not hurt him. Just my 2 cents from someone who has battled a nicotine addiction. Maybe he will take another step and clean up his diet and start to exercise with more dedication.