CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-29-2003, 04:56 PM   #1
Janet Fisher

Profile:

(Lights Out! is a book promoting a paleo-like diet and 9 hours of sleep in a pitch black room so that we don't crave sugar and avoid hormonal causes of health problems).

In the summary (presciptive) chapter of Lights Out!, the authors say something like "Consider fat as a condom for carbs". In other words, eating fat with carbs will slow down the insulin response, just like eating protein with carbs will do.

However, about 2 pages later, they say that eating fat with sugar is the worst thing you can do because of the insulin response causing you to store the fat.

How can these both be true? Sugar is a carb. And a lot of carbs, if not all, break down into sugars in your stomach, so does anyone understand what they mean?
Old 05-29-2003, 06:30 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Janet:

Maybe it's a function of the amount of sugar/carbs?

If the carbs are low, then fat consumed at the same time serves to slow the digestion / stomach emptying enough that there is no rush of sugar in the bloodstream, little or no insulin response, and little or no fat deposition?

But if the carbs are higher (how high? I have no idea . . . somewhere around 20 - 40 gm / feeding, I would guess), then the fat will be insufficient to retard stomach emptying, so there will be an insulin spike anyway . . . and the extra calories from the fat will then be deposited in storage?

It's the only understanding I can make of it, and it's pretty speculative. Hopefully, Rob will weigh in with his perspective . . .

Dave
Old 05-29-2003, 06:41 PM   #3
Dan John

Profile:

Well, first, I am not sure how well edited the book turned out to be in this printing. The whole rant on the government seemed odd to me...

I like the basic idea:
Go to bed.
Sleep.
Eat meat and veggies...Repeat.

Sorry, I can't help you on the specifics, but I did like the book. I lost some serious weight in a week by "Supersleeping." I need to trademark that word.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:23 PM   #4
David Werner

Profile:
Janet
in "The Zone" Barry Sears, while discussing risk factors for heart disease, explains; "..too much carbohydrate (and too little fat and protein to control the rate of entry of carbohydrates into the bloodstream) means an overproduction of insulin."

From this and alot of other sources my interpretation is that quality and quantity both matter. The glycemic index of a food is important but so is the total of carbohydrates consumed. Sugar is just too dense a source of carbs for any reasonable diet scenario.

I believe that "Lights Out" is trying to say that even with broccoli as your source of carbs, some fat and protein are required for optimal hormonal response, and sugar is right out.

I hope this helps

Dave
Old 05-31-2003, 04:54 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Somewhere in Lights Out...I believe in the prescriptive chapter it says "...sugar will kill you nine ways from sunday." I take this to mean consume in extreme moderation.
robb