CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Scottie Sellers

Profile:
New to Crossfit

I'm brand new to CrossFit and want to learn more. Truthfully just started looking at it this week and even tried some of the WOD's.
In May of 2010 I went through P90x and then started lifting at the gym in my town and also did Insanity. I am 5 foot 9 and I went from 210 lbs. down to 158-160ish from May 2010 to around May 2011. I maintained that weight thru summer then I got lazy and almost completely stopped working out and I let go of the diet and eating right. i have gained 15 lbs. back and want to lose that and become more fit.

I know the 1st thing that i need to do is get my diet back in check but what would anyone suggest to someone brand new to crossfit.
I am not wanting to get big but I wouldn't mind adding some strength and really getting my body fat down. I want to get into better shape and look good at the same time.

I have been doing what I can of the WOD's at the gym and I have to say that I love the intensity and pace. I am not close to where I was 6 months ago physically but I am doing better than what I thought I would.
Does anyone have any suggestions about workouts besides the WOD's that could benefit someone like myself? Also any advice on nutrition would be appreciated as well.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: New to Crossfit

well, a good place to start would be the CrossFit FAQ at the top of this page. read all of it. watch all the demo videos. subscribe to the CFJ and start reading on those.

as to "workouts besides WODs", any workout in CF is going to be called a WOD... but if you are saying you want to add more, does that mean you want a more structured program? are you wanting to add dedicated strength work? are you wanting to focus on endurance more? do you just think the WOD isn't enough?

my suggestion would be to have a more specific goal than "get in shape and look good".

what are some of your current lift numbers and run times? squat, deadlift, press, bench, power clean? how fast can you run a mile? a 5K? how many pushups can you do non stop? how many pullups? how fast can you do 100 burpees? give us some info and we can help get you going in the right direction.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Scottie Sellers

Profile:

It's been about 6 months since I've done any serious lifting so I don't have am exact numbers for lifts. At my lowest weight of 160 my bench max was 175lbs, squat was around 225, deadlift was around 250. I'd like to get back to these numbers and even greater weight. I can currently do 30 consecutive pushups run a mile in 10-12 minutes.
Pull ups currently able to do 3-4 was able to do 10.

If I had to be specific I'd like to get stronger and faster and dropping body fat would be nice. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

where you are at right now, you have alot of room for improvement on everything. the good news is that if you eat right and workout with a good program you will see improvements quickly. get on a good strength bias program and hit your conditioning hard.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I've heard the P90x diet is decent with the only caveat being that it can be expensive. Look into paleo/zone. Just cut out the crap. You can weigh and measure if that fits your OCD, but I wouldn't bother. Do rough estimates of the intake of how much you're eating per meal and day but I wouldn't bother getting a food scale and getting nutty about it. Look up a nutrition chart once you have some ballpark figures.

So long as you are doing a base of strength work+metcon you should be fine. MainPage programming might work for you scaled back or following an affiliates WOD programming. That sort of depends where and what you are working out with be it at home, in a regular gym, or a CF gym.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Scottie Sellers

Profile:

What would be a good strength program or should I just begin focusing on these lifts on different days of the week and then follow up with conditioning work?
Also would i want to have a day or two of nothing but metcon work so that my body can recover from the lifting?

I'm working out at a regular gym but I have access to barbells, db's, pullup bars, treadmills, a rowing machine, jump ropes.
Also I've tried the paleo way of eating or primal way as some call it and i like it. I just have to discipline myself again and get my will power going.
Thanks for the advice and if you have any suggestions on the strength work let me know.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

CFFB, GSLP, or 5/3/1 are good simple strength and conditioning programs. Doing a random "different days of the week" program is likely to get you random results. And I'd advise against doing metcon-only days...do conditioning after your lifting, and leave your rest days as rest days.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Matt Connolly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
CFFB, GSLP, or 5/3/1 are good simple strength and conditioning programs. Doing a random "different days of the week" program is likely to get you random results. And I'd advise against doing metcon-only days...do conditioning after your lifting, and leave your rest days as rest days.
As Eric says, stick to a program and don't vary it - a very common mistake. Also be sure that the conditioning you do on strength days is anaerobic in nature, doing aerobic conditioning and strength work on one day conflict each other and will interfere with each others adaptations.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Scottie Sellers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Connolly View Post
Also be sure that the conditioning you do on strength days is anaerobic in nature, doing aerobic conditioning and strength work on one day conflict each other and will interfere with each others adaptations.
So what would you suggest as good conditioning work? And by anaerobic you mean exercise that is short and intense in nature, right? Would a body weight circuit of pushups, pullups, etc. or even using some weights/kettlebells make up a conditioning workout.
Could i also do sprints or intervals?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Sellers View Post
So what would you suggest as good conditioning work? And by anaerobic you mean exercise that is short and intense in nature, right? Would a body weight circuit of pushups, pullups, etc. or even using some weights/kettlebells make up a conditioning workout.
Could i also do sprints or intervals?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Yes.

A good general rule is 10 minutes or less, and as simple as possible. Hill sprints, 100m repeats, sled drags/pushes, KB swings, burpees, sledgehammer swings, farmers walks, sandbag work, etc. Work/rest intervals are fine...i.e. go all out for 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds, repeat 10x. Or do 20 heavy KB swings, 20 goblet squats, rest for 10 deep breaths, repeat 3-5x. And so on.